Home-bound college students: Pros and cons of commuting

One of the rites of passage for most Americans is to move away from home and to live independently of one’s family. This usually occurs when a person reaches the age of 18, graduates from high school and goes to college. When you go to college, you move into a dorm or apartment, get roommates and live independent of your family. No more curfews, eating Taco Bell for every meal, sleep-overs with sexy people, all is possible with this new-found freedom (the approval of one’s roommates and partner on the sleep-over part is key and don’t forget, always practice safe sex)! But, what about the students who live at home while attending college? This article will consider the lives of students who live at home while going to college and list the pros and cons of doing such.

Let’s start with the pros of living at home. The main reason many students live at home while going to college is monetary. For example, I have an arrangement with my mom and step-dad that I can live rent-free while attending school. By not having to pay rent I save money for the important things in life, like the astronomical cost of textbooks or alcohol or food or more alcohol. Also, when you live at home you have access to free laundry and don’t have to survive on Ramen if your funds get low. Laura O’Brien says “By living at home I help my parents out in order to keep my expenses low. I make meals and keep after our pets to help my parents out.”

Another pro is that you can have pets! When you live in a dorm or get an apartment pets are often not allowed, but at home you can express your love for animals to your greatest desire. Ryan Herman, a sophomore, states “I love going home and being able to see my dog every day! It helps me with the stress of school.” Speaking of stress, when living at home you do not have to deal with the stress that roommates can bring. Some roommates can be great and you become friends for life. Others you just can’t wait to get rid of. Their habits can be annoying or they make you marvel at how disgusting other people can be; at least if you live at home you know what to expect when it comes to your family.     

This is a good time to list some of the cons of living at home. First up, family. Family can be paradoxical: you love each other one moment, but can hate each other the next. If you happen to have a good relationship with your family then continuing to live at home is a great idea. If home, however, is toxic, you may be better off living away from home. Another con to living at home is commuting back and forth to campus (unless of course you happen to live in town).  This commute pretty much determines your life. According to Jesse Newcomer, a senior, “What times I’m here on campus is dependent on when my classes are. Once I’m done with classes and study sessions I go straight home.” Due to the commute, another con for college students who live at home is FOMO. We come to class and maybe spend some time in the library, but leave as soon as possible, missing out on campus activities that take place after we leave. In the end, whether one lives at home or lives on their own is a personal choice and as listed here, it can be good or bad.