HUSKY SPOTLIGHT: Alyssa Broadt

Field Hockey’s Alyssa Broadt describes her journey to Bloomsburg

Connor McKay, Sports Editor

Bloomsburg University is home to some exceptional athletes, all with their own story. Among devotion to their teams, many athletes also balance their love of their family, friends, and education.
Field hockey player Alyssa Broadt is one of those athletes. A junior biology/pre-med major, Broadt explained in an interview her story of becoming a Husky athlete, and all the hard work that goes into playing a sport that so drives her life.
Broadt is a local girl, born and raised right here in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania. She explained how she grew up with the town that was, “super small and I knew everyone.”
Being from such a small town, Broadt originally did not even consider Bloomsburg University. She had grand dreams of playing for the Maryland Terrapins at the Division I level for their championship field hockey program.
Unfortunately, Broadt fell ill the summer before her junior year of high school. While originally diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, this was actually a misdiagnosis and she was eventually correctly diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.
Field hockey has been a major part of Broadt’s life to say the least. Her love of the sport began in seventh grade and this year marks her 9th year of playing. She described her enjoyment of playing middle school soccer with friends and upon joining the field hockey team at her middle school, became enamored with the new challenges and competition the sport presented.
To say Broadt loves competition is an understatement. In her high school career, she racked up the accolades of being a four-year varsity letter winner and senior captain of her field hockey team, and also playing track and field and diving. Broadt is a member of the National Honors Society, and National Art Society. When asked how she balanced all of those responsibilities on her plate, Broadt remarked, “I just don’t like being bored.”
She discussed her very loving and supportive parents who were, “always on me and keeping myself busy.”
When asked to describe the biggest differences between playing at the collegiate level compared to the high school level, Broadt clarified the major leap in playing ability via the speed, caliber, and skill of collegiate athletes.
The contrast between those who play for fun compared to those who love competitive play was a focal point. Broadt stated, “You have to push yourself beyond what you would in high school.”
In discussing her favorite memory playing as a Husky, Broadt told the riveting tale of a game against Slippery Rock University, during her freshman year.
While being down one goal, the Huskies are able to snag a corner and the coach puts her in at the forward position (Broadt plays midfield and had little experience). Despite her nerves, her senior captain gave her some simple advice to keep her stick on the ground and an eye on the ball.
When the corner was shot, the ball ricocheted off her stick and she sent the game into overtime along with scoring her first collegiate goal. Along with the Huskies coming back to win the game, Broadt described scoring the goal as, “the greatest feeling” surely the type of moment every athlete wants to experience.
Broadt wishes to keep sports in life even when she retires from the field. She voiced how, “sports have always been in my family” and coaching would be a great opportunity for her. She already has experience coaching her high school team, and will be coaching them for their winter indoor tournaments this upcoming winter.
Trying to balance the difficulty of a biology/pre-med major along with being an athlete is no easy task. Broadt further went into detail on managing the balance, recounting how her honors classes in high school both prepared her and allowed her to excel. Her motivation to work in medicine and help others stems back from her own time spent in the hospital and noble desire to help others the way she was helped.
In thinking of plans for after graduation, Broadt has been considering working in the field of cardiology. Voicing, “The cardiac system is super interesting to me.” Broadt is also connected to the field because of her grandfather, who suffers from heart disease. Like most of us though, the future remains unclear and she also expressed her consideration of working in the veterinary field, because of her love of animals and childhood pets.
When asked to portray the biggest obstacle she is currently facing, the blunt answer of “time management” is a complication every college student must face, athlete or not.
Broadt further defined how the responsibilities of being a student-athlete can be overwhelming at times, but she, “always has the support of her teammates.”
In response to a question asking to outline the goals of the field hockey team for this season, Broadt replied, “Being better than we were last year, improve individually to improve as a team.”
She noted how the players have already put up individual season goals in the locker room and the strong drive to beat Shippensburg University along with any other school in the Pennsylvania State Conference.
Broadt’s response to the question of asking for advice for an underclassman looking to balance the trials of school/life/sports was, “Definitely push yourself to be the best person you can be, don’t take anything for granted. There’s things to focus on outside of athletics like school.”
A highly motivated young woman, a look into Broadt’s life and athletic career is a prime example of how hard work, dedication, and a strong family can provide a limitless future.
The Huskies currently sit an 0-4 record, but have a long remaining season to rise from the pitfalls of their defeat and return as underdogs.
Their next match is scheduled for this Saturday the 21, against the Seton Hill University Griffins. This is an especially special match because along with being a home game, it is Kid’s Day as well. The match is set to start at 12:00 p.m. Let’s hope the Huskies go out and snag their first win of the season!