B.U. Athletics Launches First Ever “Back The Pack” Virtual Race

Anna Watson, Sports Editor

Due to the cancellations of Fall Sports this semester,  the Bloomsburg Athletic Program has most definitely been affected throughout the entirety of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, now more than ever is the perfect time for Husky Nation Sports Fans everywhere to virtually support their favorite student-athletes from the comfort of their own home during the entire month of October. 

This year, the Bloomsburg Athletic Program has partnered with the Office of Alumni and Professional Engagement to launch its first Inaugural Back The Back Virtual Race, which began on October 1st, and runs until October 31st. 

The Bloomsburg  Men and Women’s Track and Field Head Coach, Bernie Empie, who oversees the Back the Pack Race, also provided more details on this event remarking, “The #BackthePack virtual run is a collaborative effort by the BU Athletic Department and the Office of Alumni and Professional Engagement. This encourages people to continue to social distance while also providing crucial support for student-athletes. Participants can choose an event (1 mile or 5k) that best fits their particular fitness level, and complete the challenge by either walking, running, or biking the distance they register for anytime and anywhere they choose between October 1 and October 31.” 

This is not only a great concept idea for 2020, but also could be potentially implemented into an annual in-person race, after COVID-19 and all of its regulations have departed. However for the time being, the virtual race still provides thousands of current students, supporters, and alumni of Bloomsburg the opportunity to support their Huskies from afar. 

Empie also presented the reasoning behind Back The Pack stating, “Due to the Pandemic, opportunities available to the athletic department to generate valuable resources for student-athlete scholarships evaporated. Since March we have not been able to host any camps, clinics, or any other type of in-person events. Out of the continued social distancing recommendations came the idea for a virtual event.” 

Additionally, this event will help to bring Bloomsburg University Athletics together,  during the most uncertain of times building upon school spirit, and uniting the Huskies  to achieve a common goal. 

Empie communicated final details to those interested in participating in the race stating, “Awards will be given to the top 3 male/female finishers in each of the event distances. Registration costs just $25 to sign up and every participant has a chance to be entered into the drawing to win a Husky Prize Pack just by sporting maroon & gold and sharing their race-day photos using the hashtag #BackThePack! We hope everyone will join us in supporting the #BackthePack Virtual Race!” 

Registration and more information can be found at:

https://buhuskies.com/news/2020/9/30/general-inaugural-backthepack-virtual-race-support-husky-athletics-one-step-at-a-time.aspx