BUPD details guidelines for underages

erage has sparked conversation as to what the official guidelines are for these types of offenses.

In this case, a 19-year-old female BU student was caught stumbling entering her friend’s home on Iron Street while intoxicated.

A cop driving down the house’s street saw her take this fall turned on his lights and pulled over, wanting to make sure she was okay. He then immediately called the EMT’s to come check her out.

“I was completely blacked out, but I was told as I was trying to go up the porch stairs, I went to take my first step and fell right on my butt” she said.
The EMT’s decided she was too belligerent to not go to the hospital; her BAC was .2, compared to the legal limit of .08.

“I have always wanted to work with kids, and this may ruin it. I’m not sure what do from here on,” the student confessed, adding “my parents are so disappointed in me.”

Officer Scott LeVan of the Bloomsburg University Police Department explains that there are certain guidelines officers follow when deciding whether to give an underage. According to Levan, most underages are given near resident’s halls They are also the most common offense on campus, second to disorderly conducts. LeVan said that when giving underages, cops on patrol look out for someone who is not acting “normal”: glossy eyes, slurring of words, smell of alcohol on the breath and out of control/not functioning well. Once an underage is given, Levan says, the next step is to try and get it taken off of one’s record. This can be done through acceptance into the “Useful Offender Program” for first time offenders and having the underage talked down to a disorderly conduct.

However, even those of age are not safe on campus. Officer LeVan explains that Bloomsburg University is a dry campus, meaning even if you are 21 and over, carrying alcohol is prohibited. They look out for those carrying suspicious cans or bottles.Public drunkenness is another offense to fear as a student. At any age, acting out of hand from being intoxicated is outlawed.“We just want everyone to be safe” LeVan insists.