‘We’re always here to help’: Women’s Resource Center is here for all students

Bloomsburg University’s Women’s Resource Center (WRC) faces many misconceptions, according to Graduate Assistant Traci Eschbach.
The WRC, located on the first floor of Schuylkill Hall, provides a space in which all students can feel safe on campus, performing educational programs, community outreach, and advocacy.

The WRC faces frequent stereotyping, explains Eschbach. “I think people have the idea that we’re all ‘angry feminists’ down here, but that’s really not the case,” she says. “We’re just here supporting others to create a safe space for everyone to have on campus.”

Another common misconception surrounding the WRC, as explained by Eschbach, is that men are prohibited from utilizing their services or attending their events.

“People joke that the whole place will burn down if a man steps in here,” she says, noting that she wishes students knew that the center was welcoming to people of all genders; “There’s definitely a stigma surrounding us in that way.”

One particular service that makes the WRC so important, explains Eschbach, is their work with survivors of sexual assault. “Our coordinator, Albra Wheeler, is always willing to help assault survivors in multiple ways,” she explains. “Whether a survivor wants to pursue legal action or simply wants to talk through what happened to them, we’re always here to help.”

The WRC also holds many events throughout the semester open to all students. One such event is “Feel Good Friday,” a reoccurring event last held on Oct. 19 in collaboration with Healthy Huskies for Mental Health Awareness. “Feel Good Fridays,” held on the first Friday of every month, promote destressing and self-care, providing students with a relaxing environment in which they can interact with their peers, take advantage of free food, and meet with a Reiki specialist for guided meditation.

In addition to Feel Good Fridays, the WRC also educates students within residence halls, classes and clubs on important topics such as safe sex, and as Eschbach explains, are willing to plan additional such events as needed.

Encouraging more students to take advantage of their services, Eschbach says: “students really don’t need to be shy in coming down to see us…even if you’re just here for our free condoms! We want everyone to be safe.”

According to Eschbach, it’s important now more than ever for students to feel safe while on campus. “Assault on campus is devastating,” she says, “and its crucial college students are aware of statistics and safe spaces available to them to spread awareness.”

The Women’s Resource Center is located on the first floor of Schuylkill Hall and is open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Additionally, they can be reached at [email protected], or at (570) 389-5283.