Partying for breast cancer awareness: Healthy Huskies educate students on deadly disease

According to the American Cancer Society, the average woman in the United States has a 12 percent risk of developing breast cancer in her lifetime, roughly a one -in-eight chance she will develop the disease.

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness month, a campaign put together every year by major breast cancer charities to raise awareness of this disease. It also aims to raise funds towards research on causes, prevention, treatments and cures.

On Monday Oct. 8, the Healthy Huskies hosted a Breast Cancer Awareness Education & Pink Party, also sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Affairs.
The “Pink Party” featured food, music, and educational pamphlets designed to educate students more about this disease.

The American Cancer Society guidelines for the early detection of breast cancer in people ages 20-39 (which were given out at the event) advise women to have a clinical breast exam by a health care provider at least every three years and a breast self-exam each month.

All women should check their breasts for lumps or other changes every month, according to the guidelines.

By self-examining regularly, they explain, women will know how their breasts normally feel. The guidelines also encourage women to contact their doctor and let them know if any change occurs.

Following this kick-off of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the sixteenth annual breast cancer 5k walk/run will be held on Sunday, Oct. 21. Madelyn Rodriguez started this event back in 2002 and continues to bring in back to Bloom each year. “Students always come and have a great time and raise money. Our money goes to the Pennsylvania Breast Cancer Coalition,” she says.

This event will be held at the Student Rec Center beginning at 1:00 p.m. To register for this event, visit the Office of Multicultural Affairs in Kehr Union.

For more information about breast cancer, call toll free at 1-800-ACS-2345 or visit www.cancer.org.