FDA rules on ‘Juul epidemic’

All across college campuses, high schools and even middle schools, you will frequently see students “juuling.”

The Juul has become an increasingly popular vape over the past couple months, especially with younger individuals. Some colleges across the country are now prohibiting the use of this vape.

Bloomsburg University Psychology professor Dr. Kevin Ball commented on the issue, saying “the trend is concerning because e-cigarettes in any form contain nicotine, which is a highly addictive substance.”

“Although it may be safer than smoking cigarettes, e-cigarette vapor nonetheless contains several harmful chemicals, and research suggests that teens who use e-cigarettes are more likely to smoke traditional cigarettes later.”

It is easy to see how the trend of the Juul has come to our own university as well. Will this trend of vaping go away? Dr. Ball is doubtful, “because many teens are likely becoming addicted to nicotine.” BU students have reported seeing other students “juuling” around campus and even in the middle of class.

Just walking around the quad, you can see random puffs of vape smoke rise into the air from groups of students. This shows how common the use of e-cigarettes is, especially among college students.

The company “Juul” made its product to target individuals who want to quit smoking. This was supposedly a healthy alternative to cigarettes.

According to Business Insider, the Juul has scary nicotine levels that teens love, making it the latest trend in amongst the youth population. The pods that you purchase for this vape come in flavors like mint, creme brulee, and mango.

Many say this is why they’ve become so popular; the risks are hidden behind “fun” flavors.

The ads Juul use are bright and colorful, which attracts the attention of young adolescents. This led to teens posting pictures/videos of them “juuling.” The ads have come under fire due to the fact that they appear to be targeting minors, and Juul is now under investigation by the FDA because of this.
They are being accused of directing their ads towards minors and getting the younger generation addicted to nicotine. E-cigarettes have caused the largest increase of teen nicotine use in decades after years of smoking rates being at all time low, according to CNBC.

Earlier this year, Juul had three lawsuits filed against them, all relating to their marketing. People are now calling this vape trend an “epidemic” among teens.

As of last week, the FDA has given Juul and other e-cig makers 60 days to come up with a plan to reduce teen use. If they fail to do this, their products may be taken off the market.

A spokesperson for Juul told Business Insider that “Juul Labs will work proactively with FDA in response to its request.” At this time there has been no new information regarding their plan.