Finding peace on a porch

Ed Murphy, Digital Managing Editor

Thanksgiving breaks are always highlighted by going home, seeing friends and family and of course the annual feast. For me the personal highlight is the solitude of my front porch and a case of Miller Lite. 

During the semester I hustle. I bust my ass on and off campus. From working on projects in the art department to making each week’s edition of “The Voice” the best I can. On top of it all are the night shifts at Ruby Tuesday’s. 

Now this isn’t a Woe-Is-Me story, but rather, I’m simply explaining that this routine gets old after a bit. Now granted, my schedule does allow for time off for social engagements and even a little time for personal rest time. But even these moments of relaxation can be tainted by seeing people from class or receiving an email update about something stressful. 

Everyone needs to find a little alone time to check-out of reality and unplug from the world. Everyone should learn to enjoy their own company. My preferable alone time is spent on my front porch in the middle of the night with only a case of Miller Lite bottles to keep me company. No twitter or Instagram, maybe just some music on to break the silence in-between cars passing by. 

Now I know for a fact this is not ideal for everyone. I just happen to be an old soul and I like to watch traffic as I slowly kill my liver. 

“Alone time” doesn’t necessarily mean without someone else’s presence. Including a close friend who adds no pressure to the activity can also soothe a rabid mind or achy soul. With no pressure to make small talk there is a comfortable silence between us. Alone but together. Just enjoying the physical presence of each other. 

With finals quickly approaching its time to find time for yourself. Time to check out and unplug from reality for a bit. Forget about the stress of finals and life. Find yourself some time for silent alone time bliss or a road trip with a best friend. Learning to enjoy time with yourself and finding someone to share a comfortable silence with are the most important lessons I learned through my tenure here.

Ed is a senior Art major and is the Digital Managing Editor for The Voice.