Go ‘Beyond the Fountain’

Sophie Davenport, Growl Editor

Bloomsburg University plans to go ‘Beyond the Fountain’ once again through a discussion about race. The event, ‘Beyond the Fountain,’ is a public forum and time of discussion about race. The event began because students of color felt unsafe to go beyond the fountain downtown. Students felt it was necessary to have a discussion about race in Bloomsburg and ‘Beyond the Fountain’ was the result. The event is a safe space for community members and students to share their experiences and educate themselves on the topic of race. 

‘Beyond the Fountain’ is hosted by BU’s CGA (Community Government Association) and CGA has run the event for four consecutive years. Last year the event attracted over 250 participants! Current CGA President, Sabina Bower, says the aim of ‘Beyond the Fountain’ is to have real conversations about race. Bower wants people to feel safe enough to let their guards down and share their lived experiences. 

This year, the event will feature Keynote speaker Rev. Dr. Jamie Washington and two performances by BU’s Gospel Choir. Dr. Washington is an accomplished educator and leader of diversity who uses his knowledge to serve others. A native to Philadelphia, Dr. Washington received his B.S. in Therapeutic Recreation and Music from Slippery Rock State College. He has also earned a double Masters’ degree of Science and a Ph. D in College Student Development. Dr. Washington has also served in leader positions over many organizations such as the ACPA, NASPA, APA, and more. He has over twenty years’ experience in higher education and over thirty years’ experience in music ministry. Currently, Dr. Washington serves as an Associate Minister of Unity Fellowship Church in Baltimore and is the President of the Washington Consulting Group. 

Beyond the Fountain will take place on November 7th at 7pm in the Kehr Union Ballroom.