New Year’s Means An Overcrowded Rec Center

Maya+Berger%2C+junior+Biology+major%2C+working+her+shift+with+a+smile.+Photo+by+Carly+Busfield.+

Maya Berger, junior Biology major, working her shift with a smile. Photo by Carly Busfield.

Carly Busfield, Howl Editor

One of the best facilities provided by Bloomsburg University is the recreation center. Many college students face the harsh “freshman fifteen” from cheap dormitory eating habits. Although it can sometimes be hard to eat healthier, whether it’s a financial or taste issue, people can still always exercise. However, many frequent gym-goers face the issue of their so-called territory being filled with too many new faces.  

What is causing this sudden rush of students going to the recreation center? It is now February and past Groundhog’s Day, where Punxsutawney Phil deemed another six weeks of winter. More winter means more time spent inside, especially at the gym to tone for summer.  

New Year’s was just around the corner which implies a lot of New Year’s resolutions. One of the most popular resolutions amongst all ages is to live healthier and to go to the gym. Within a little over a month, the recreation center is booming to the point where it is not as spacious and enjoyable.  

More people in attendance results in more labor for the workers. Maya Berger, a junior Biology major, is a proud employee at the student recreation center. She commented, “There’s definitely more trash, personal items left behind, and equipment unreturned. We’ve begun checking equipment out for people from things behind the desk to ensure they bring it back. It makes it easier for us to clean up at night and keep track of the equipment.”  

Troy Hammond, a senior exercise science student, frequents the student recreation center six times a week and has for a very long time. He exclaimed, “Depending on how crowded it is, I won’t be able to get my full workout in.” A typical workout for a frequent goer, such as Hammond, is 1-2 hours. With that amount of time spent, who would want to prolong themselves anymore? 

Imagine standing in front of the weight room mirror doing dumbbell workouts, but now picture it with 30 other people surrounding you doing the same thing. From observation, 5:00-7:30pm seems to be the busiest time along with the group fitness classes going on. Berger continued to say, “I have a lot of friends whose typical time to work out is in the evening (when most people go) and the first week has been hard to find open space and machines to workout due to the large number of people.”  

Social anxiety can be difficult to tackle at the gym while waiting for the machine you want to utilize. No one wants to interrupt, and no one wants to be cut off mid-workout. Sometimes asking someone how many sets they have left is too nerve-wracking for any gym-goer. Yet, waiting too long to do a short workout is not ideal either.  

Another reason this popular fitness location is filling up is because the McCormick construction has pushed many Centennial classes into the studio room of the Recreation Center. These group classes push others away from utilizing the room itself, the three hanging punching bags, smaller dumbbells, yoga mats, and more.  

A few rumors have floated around discussing how the staff will tackle this issue. No information was received on how this issue could be fixed besides being patient and utilizing all open gym hours. Many students have had to change their usual workout routines to find the least crowded time. Club teams remain having their usual practices amongst the courts, but the additional crowd leaves the gym humid and extra sweaty.