Home for the holidays

Written by Leah T. Samuel ‘24 and Wren Fritsky, Director of Career and Professional Development.

For many students, winter break is a chance to reconnect with family and friends, but what if those connections could impact your future?

Here are some tips to make the most of your winter break:

1. Every encounter has the potential to enhance (or tarnish) your personal brand

That family friend at a holiday party could be a potential employer and you can either speak passionately about a class project you did last semester, or have one too many glasses of wine and make a lousy impression. You may be tempted to “flip the bird” on the jerk that took your parking spot, but she may be your interviewer rushing to get to your interview. 

Make friends – not enemies – wherever you are. Be careful what you say and how you behave.

1. Preparation is key

Take time to prepare an “elevator pitch” on what you want to share to family, friends, and former colleagues. If you know grandma talks to everyone, you want to be able to share with her all the great things you’re doing and what you might want next – whether it be a job shadowing opportunity at her doctor’s office or a summer internship with her former colleague. Your supporters care and want to help, so take advantage of that by preparing your “share-list” and “wish-list.” 

An introduction to a career connection can be the best present of all!

1. Create/update your LinkedIn profile now! NOW.

Think back and record all the great things you did this semester so you have it ready when you are updating your resume or following up on a connection. Search for alumni and other professionals to connect with for information and additional connections. Alumni love connecting with current students! 

Keep your social media active and professional. A 2020 survey on PRweb reveals that 71% of hiring decision-makers agree that screening candidate’s social media is worth-while, so it may be a good idea to clean up your social profiles over break by deleting irrelevant content or posting something new. Even what you comment on someone else’s post could be the difference between getting hired and getting ignored.

Find more ways to provide a good impression with a career coaching appointment on Handshake under “Career Center.”