Women’s Tennis season now underway

Huskies welcome ESU, Lock Haven & Shippensburg to BU Invitational

Anna Victoria, Sports Writer

Opening up the fall season, the Women’s Tennis Team held the Bloomsburg Invitational vs. East Stroudsburg, Lock Haven, and Shippensburg this past weekend at Burt Reese Tennis Center.
Additionally, the Huskies welcomed their new Head coach Rebecca Helt in her debut for Bloomsburg Tennis.
As for singles, senior Cassidy Calimer defeated Maddy Reeves of Shippensburg, with a 6-0, 6-0 win, in addition to Marina Zardet from Shippensburg, scoring 6-4, 6-1. These victories placed Calimer in the finals round.
On the other hand, Taylor Capoferri, a senior from Lancaster, P.a., crushed East Stroudsburg’s Quinn McClusky in back to back sets, scoring 6-2, 6-1. Likewise, Lock Haven’s Hailey Risley was crushed by Bloomsburg’s Vitoria Nery.
This gave her a chance to face Cassidy Calimer in the finals, Capoferri and Nery competed in a close-run three set where Capoferri dominated over Nery, winning 2-6, 7-5, 13-11.
In the end, Capoferri pushed ahead and beat Calimer in the finals with 5-7, 7-6, 10-7. Although, unfortunately for the Huskies, Shippensburg’s Marina Zardet took down Nery in consecutive matches in the finals of the backdraw – 6-2, 6-2.
Similarly, the #2 singles flight sent three Huskies to the semifinals. Winning all three of her matches, Junior Giovanna Bonito surpassed Kayla Tryanski of Shippensburg in her opening match, as well as East Stroudsburg’s Aubri Stetina. During the finals round, Bonito overthrew freshman teammate Luana Bernardi – 7-6, 6-4.
In the #3 singles flight, semifinalist Isabella Sarquis went on to defeat junior teammate Devon DiCampli by forfeit in the finals. She then progressed to the finale match with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Lock Haven’s McCartney Register and a 6-1, 6-1 triumph over East Stroudsburg’s Ivanna Pittman.
The Women’s Tennis Team is scheduled to play next at Chestnut Hill on Sunday, Sept. 29. On the men’s side, their opening match of the season vs. RIT got postponed, and also looks forward to their debut appearance this Sunday, Sept. 29, at Chestnut Hill College at 1:00 p.m.