PREVIEW: Softball faces Goldey-Beacom

Huskies hot off two-game win streak and better 3-3 record

Connor McKay, Sports Editor

This Friday, March 6, the Bloomsburg University Softball team will be gearing up for their doubleheader against the Goldey-Beacom College Lightning.
The game against the Lightning was originally set for Tuesday, March 3, but inclement weather caused the game’s change of schedule. Wilmington, Delaware will be the site of the action, as the Huskies will be on the road yet again this weekend. The first game of the doubleheader is set to start at 11 a.m. and then at 1 p.m.
Being on the road has proven not to be a problem for the Huskies, as their last two road games against the Bowie State University Bulldogs resulted in wins.
The first game against the Bulldogs could not have gone better for the Huskies, beating their opponent 14-0. In the second game, things went about the same way and the Huskies swept it, 12-2.
What is important to note from these two games is the growing power of the Husky offense. Juniors Abby Wild and Tara Baney provided the pitching backbone needed for the offense to score an impressive 26 combined runs from the game.
Wild notably struck out a career-best 12 batters in game one. Sophomores Erin DelPierre, Kelsey Impink, and Rebecca Rossi all scored runs during the first inning of the first game. Runs in the second game came from senior Ashli Wenokur, and sophomores Paige Thomas and Sammi Star.
With these pair of wins, the Huskies overall record improves to an even 3-3. The Huskies have played well on the road this season and have a 2-1 away record, while their neutral record of 1-2 could see some improvement.
Already hot off a two-game win streak, the Huskies have a real chance of taking an early dominance in the season if they can secure wins this weekend. Their opponents the Lightning are not in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC), meaning that the game will affect the overall record of the Huskies, but not the divisional standings.
The Huskies have a very positive history in previous matches between these teams. Sitting at an 8-0 record against the Lightning, the last match-up between these teams was on March 24, 2019 for a doubleheader.
It was a strong win for the Huskies as they overtook their opponent 7-0 in game one and 5-2 in the second. Winning four games and home and four games away, the Lightning have not ever been able to stop the Huskies’ offense, so that should be a huge advantage confidence wise, entering the game on Friday.
The 2020 season has started out poorly for the Lightning, falling to an overall record of 1-5. They are on a two-game losing streak and have only played neutral games thus far, for the season.
In their season opening Snowbird Freeze Out Tournament in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, they were only able to produce a win against Millersville University with a score of 8-1. They fell to Shippensburg University 3-9, to Seton Hill University 1-9, Kutztown University 3-5, Southern Connecticut State 4-7 and Lock Haven University 2-6.
With some of these teams being within the PSAC division, this is a good sign for the Huskies. It seems that the Lightning lack a true offensive threat, and are unable to score well. Assuming Wild and Baney are able to keep up their explosive play style on the mount, they should have no problem taking care of this competition.
A look into the rest of the season shows that the Huskies will remain on the road for quite a while before returning home. The weekend of March 7 and 8 will have the Huskies traveling to Saliusbury, North Carolina to face off against Catawba College and Winston-Salem State University.
The first home game for the 2020 season will be on March 21, for a double-header against East Stroudsburg University. The first game against a team from PSAC will be on Friday, March 27, and the Huskies will be facing the Bald Eagles from Lock Haven University.

For more information on the Bloomsburg University basebaall teams, upcoming schedule, statistics or roster, please visit buhuskies.com