What in the world is going on?: Your weekly news brief

These news briefs are very condensed and readers are advised to look up the full length stories to receive all of the available information.

Mueller on Trump’s email leaks

Special Counsel Robert Mueller  reportedly is investigating President Donald Trump on whether he has any affiliation with WikiLeaks during the 2016 campaign

Mueller is reportedly interested in “whether [Trump] was aware that Democratic emails had been stolen before that was publicly known, and whether he was involved in their strategic release.”

Students at Stoneman Douglas high school return to class since the shooting.

Students for the first time in two weeks return to class since the mass shooting that killed 17 students on February 14th 2017. “Fred Guttenberg’s 14-year-old daughter Jaime was killed, but on Wednesday, his son Jesse returned to campus. Guttenberg said the school’s reopening was bittersweet.” Over 40 therapy dogs were at the high school on Monday greeting students as they walked into their classes. After weeks of gun reform rallies, students spent their day playing video games and eating candy in their classes.

Efforts made to end Cryptocurrencies

Steps are being taken across the globe and online to stop the spread of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, or currencies that exist online with no physical backing. China is enacting bans on the currency, while Facebook is banning advertisements promoting cryptocurrencies, and the stocks for them are beginning to spiral out of control as they crash out in the stock market. While proponents of the cryptocurrencies argue that they’re the currency of the future, current economic trends and current security technology make it nearly impossible to keep large quantities of unbacked currency secured. Perhaps in the future this technology could resurface in a more protected form, but for now, taking steps to pause its advance is probably the best way to go.

Companies work on better healthcare for employees

Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway, and JP Morgan will be assembling a team in order to figure out how to provide better, faster, more affordable and more advanced health care for their employees and the American people at large. Pooling the massive financial resources of some of the largest companies in the world, the corporate giants will attempt to fund research into what is causing the bloated health care costs, as well as investing in health care innovation. They hope to make procedures faster, safer, and more affordable for the general marketplace. Even if the venture fails to produce all of the results they’re looking for, the potential for health care innovation in a nation that already leads in health care technology is something that everyone could support.