Who let the dogs out? Who? “Paws for a Cause”

There’s a fun event coming up on campus that will take place on Monday, April 10 from noon to 4 p.m. The Students Saving Shelter Animals (SSSA), BUnow and The Pet Therapy organizations are teaming up to host the “Paws for a Cause” event that all students and faculty can look forward to in the coming week.

The event will be held on the Academic Quad and the patio of the Student Services Center for a few hours. The reason for bringing the dogs to campus is to raise money for shelter animals and create awareness of the SSSA and Pet Therapy organizations. Besides, who doesn’t get a little stress relief when there’s animals on campus to love?

Students who attend will get to meet shelter dogs that are available for adoption and rescued pet therapy dogs. The event will feature other activities, like a kissing booth that features dogs instead of people and anyone can have their photo taken while getting a kiss from the dogs. There will also be student representatives from SSSA able to answer questions for those more interested in adoption. Being in college shouldn’t keep you from getting a new furry friend to love for years to come.  

The Pet Therapy group that comes to campus throughout the year will also be in attendance to show their support for shelter animals. The Pet Therapy representatives are proud to be bringing dogs that have been rescued from shelters and are now serving students and members of the community.

The health benefits of dogs, and cats, too, have been an on-going trend for the last couple of years. Petting a canine companion can help lower blood pressure and help ease depression. People with heart disease who own dogs tend to live longer than those with the same ailments who don’t own a dog. And pets help decrease stress by lowering levels of the stress hormone cortisol, and increasing levels of the neurochemical oxytocin, which is the love hormone. Finals will be here before you know it, so get the stress out while you can by petting some dogs and visiting the puppy kissing booth.

There will be a bake sale fund-raiser held by members of Greek life benefiting the Bloomsburg Animal Resource Center and the Danville SPCA groups. The SSSA will be selling t-shirts that students and faculty can buy, there will be donation boxes available if baked goods and t-shirts aren’t the thing for you.  

Members of Greek life that attend the event can bring a baked good to contribute to the bake sale for one community service hour. So not only will they get the community service hour, they also get to spend some time with a few furry animals. They will also be eligible for three service hours for donating a minimum of five dollars in donations or dog products. There will be a sign-in sheet for those participating, so you’re sure to get those hours that are being offered.

The dogs will be brought in from the Pennsylvania SPCA in Danville which works with the student-run organization to promote adoption from shelters. Members of the SSSA work with the shelter regularly to participate in volunteer work and raising donations.

Students who want to join the SSSA or learn more about their efforts are encouraged to visit the SSSA Husky Sync portal at https://orgsync.com/121429/chapter or just visit the SSC on Monday between noon and 4 p.m. to speak to a current member of the group.