Healthy Huskies on managing stress

Taylor Sutton, Healthy Husky

It is getting to be that time in the semester when school work is piling up. The end of the semester is a challenging time when it gets tricky to balance studying, sleeping and having some free time. Healthy Husky is here to provide you with some ideas on how you can take on those final projects and assignments. 

First, create a schedule every week to plan when you are completing assignments, when you are studying, and when you can relax. On top of this, make lists! Lists can be so helpful for prioritizing and checking those tasks off can help with stress relief. Following a schedule and prioritizing tasks are great tools to keep you on the right track. 

To stay focused and energized throughout the last few weeks of class, do not sacrifice your sleep for assignments. Getting seven to nine hours of sleep every night is especially important around this time of the semester. Without adequate sleep, your efforts and grades will suffer. You should also be trying your best to get in your fruits and vegetables on a daily basis, despite the urge to eat junk food in times of stress.

Lastly, buddy up! Finding friends to study with can help with understanding the material better and brainstorming ideas. Working with someone can also lighten the mood and ease some of the tension you may have towards a difficult or tedious assignment. If there is no one to work with for a certain course, find a quiet spot to focus (preferably not your bed).

Healthy Husky also hosts weekly pet therapy sessions with “Stress Less with Pets” every Thursday, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Be sure to stop by the Student Service Center lobby at these times to help with that end of the semester stress.

To learn about stress relief and other health & wellness information and events happening on campus, contact the health and wellness educator, Kristi Hammaker, about details, questions or concerns at [email protected].

You can find us on Instagram at @BUHealthy, Twitter at @BUHealthyHusky, and Facebook at BU Healthy Husky, for quick tips and details about upcoming events.