Plant Based Eating Takes Campus by Storm

Vegan/ vegetarian options are introduced to Bloomsburg Universities eating facilities.

Melanie Aikins, Howl Editor

Vegan/ vegetarian diets along with gluten free and keto are becoming more prevalent every day in our society. Plant based eating has been proven to minimize pollution created by the farming industry; has saved millions of animals worldwide; along with helping with low cholesterol and blood sugar. A meatless diet is an acquired lifestyle, but larger quantities of people are adopting these eating habits every day.

College living is also an acquired lifestyle. Buying quick meals on the go and avoiding cooking due to time restraints are a reality on campuses everywhere. Many Universities offer a multitude of food options to choose from; with a small number of them including meat substitutes and fresh fruits and vegetables.

Bloomsburg University has recently diversified their menu for their herbivorous students. The Scranton Commons offers a sizeable vegetarian and vegan section in their dining hall. This food is of high quality but is not inclusive for the large population of students without a meal plan.

Husky Lounge on Bloomsburg Campus has joined the movement. They have added a marinated tofu to their salad bar options. This is in addition with their vegetable burgers, their vegetable wraps, and their fresh vegetables available on bagels and with salads.

“Tofu hasn’t been being bought much, it’s probably because not enough students know about it yet” a husky lounge worker speculates to an ordering student.

When asked if the amount of options available is appropriate for the size of the student body, Angel Le, a Bloomsburg University senior studying business, had his own opinion.

“I still do not think there are enough options, instead of accommodating to all the plant-based eaters, it is always just “can I get that without the meat.””

Not only are these options limited, none of them are advertised through the belief that most of the student body eats meat. This is true in a sense, but many that do not are uneducated on what’s available to them at their local eating facilities.

Lydia Garay, A junior at Bloomsburg University from Malvern Pennsylvania with a focus in social work, also had a similar mindset when asked if she has ever tried the vegetarian options.

“I haven’t, I think we need more! It is hard for me to answer regarding this year since I do not have a meal plan. Freshman and sophomore year there were not good options for people who do not eat meat, just streamed veggies and pasta.” Garay states.

Carly Busfield, a Communications sophomore affiliated with Bloomsburg’s BUNOW had a different approach.

“I think the menu at commons and husky is very diverse. I believe there are plenty of vegetarian options available for the students.” Busfield asserts.

Whether for religious endeavors, moral ethics or for no reason at all, everyone tailors their own style of eating. The environment you are in should accommodate to all ways of life and diet. Cutting out meat from your diet is a mainstream thing to do right now. If you are curious about this diet go and try one of the many meat substitutes and vegetable options available around campus at Qdoba, Husky Lounge, The Scranton Commons or Roongos Cafe!