How to Tackle Midsemester Burnout

Sarah Devitz, Columnist

The midterms and the subsequent burnout have come and gone, but the latter tends to linger. I’m not sure if there are any students who don’t experience this burnout- but those who do know how difficult it can be to get through. Despite how bad this burnout gets, we know we still have to push through no matter how difficult. Throughout my years in college, I’ve picked up a few tricks to help get through the long burnout period that comes. 

One of the main tips I have for anyone going through burnout is to not push yourself too much and remember to allow yourself time for breaks. Now, of course this doesn’t mean to drop everything and forget it, but finding ways to space out work. Doing so will allow you time to not only get it done but also rest can help a lot. 

One of my favorite study methods that splits up work nicely is the Pomodoro method. Try splitting up your study time so you have a 25-minute study period and then a five-minute break in between the next. Repeat this four times, and take a 30-minute break afterward. This lets your brain rest and process the information you’re taking in, but also gives you time to relax a bit in between each work or study session. 

Another great tip is to set reminders for yourself, in whatever way you think would work best. Whether it is the alarm app on your phone, written on a piece of paper somewhere in your room, or even a friend reminding you. Keeping reminders not only lets you visualize what work you have due and when, but it also helps determine how you can space out the work you need to do while allowing time for breaks. I like to keep all my work reminders written out on a piece of paper but make sure to schedule anything important- such as exams or projects- into my phone. Having multiple reminders is even better, and guarantees you have the information down somewhere. 

The most important tip I can offer is to try and make it to your classes. Some days this may seem like an impossible task, especially for earlier morning classes. Getting up to go to class rather than letting the work pile up that you’re behind on will be so much easier in the long run. If worst-case scenario the work does pile up because the burnout got the best of the day, remember not to overdo it when trying to catch back up, this will only make the burnout come back. 

Things like this are always a struggle, but just remembering to take things one day at a time and allowing yourself breaks can do wonders to help get through the burnout.

How to Tackle 

Midsemester Burnout