“Nurture Our Nature”: BU’s Earth Day Celebration

Lenna Kidd, Staff Writer

Saturday April 22, the day-long event to celebrate the nationally recognized Earth Day in a special way, was held at Bloomsburg University. The events were planned by BU’s Green Campus Initiative alongside the students in COMMSTUD 429: Event Planning. One of the heads of planning, Dr. Paula Hopeck, said that this day is being celebrated to, “emphasize the importance of taking care of the Earth as we take care of ourselves.”

The events took place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the quad infront of the Student Services Center (the rain location will be in Kehr Union Ballrooms) and included activities such as yoga from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., a photo booth with Roongo himself, and eco-friendly snacks available for attendees throughout the day. All activities and events are open to all students and members of the community. Attendees included some on and off campus organizations such as Husky PAWS, TRIO Student Club, The Frederick Douglas Institute, FBLA, Colleges Against Cancer, Rohrbach’s Farm, and The Children’s Museum of Bloomsburg will have tables and different activities available.

Another unique event happening in celebration of Earth Day is BU’s own clothing exchange. Students can drop off clothes they no longer want or need in exchange for something they might like to emphasize sustainability. Donations themselves will start on Wednesday April 19th in the bin located in Waller lobby. Finally, the day-long event ended with a debate by the Frederick Douglass Debate Society from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Schweiker Room of Andruss Library. The debate featured the idea that “environmental justice should be prioritized by policymakers in our local communities” according to Hopeck.

The day will be not only a celebration, but a chance for “attendees to leave the event knowing how to take care of the Earth and our future” says Hopeck.

This is not the first informational celebration we’ve had on Bloomsburg Campus. Tim Pelton, the Civic Engagement Coordinator at BU, said, “The first Earth Day, April 22nd 1970, was a response to increasing environmental damage and growing concerns of the public about the health of the planet.”

Since then, BU has recognized the day in many different ways including simple tabling and food offerings to elaborate activities like burying a car on campus. That’s not the only change the commemorations have brought to our campus. In 2007 BU’s Green Campus Initiative, which includes faculty, staff, students, and community members, have been responsible for making the day, or days in some years, shine light on the benefits as well as the threats our environment faces. In 2015, the Event Planning classes partnered with the Green Campus Initiative and students from the classes have made the event larger and better attended than ever before.

“An emphasis on the good, nurturing things about our environment is part of the Earth Day planning; so, celebration is an integral part of the effort” Pelton stated.