Bloomsburg CGA Senate Tackles “The Big Event” and financial aid resources

The Bloomsburg Campus Community Government Association (CGA) Student Senate meeting was held on Monday, Jan. 22 in Kehr Student Union with topics arising from planning for “The Big Event” to financial aid resources. 

President Matt Yurkunas led the senate through preparations for “The Big Event,” including approving four $50 gift cards to the BU Store and a $100 donation to an affiliated, on-campus group for early registration for “The Big Event.” There was also an approved motion to spend no more than $400 for new yard signs advertising “The Big Event.” Unlike previous signs, these signs can be used year to year, with a new QR code featured to boost signups.

The topic of CGA senate representation at the Budget Committee Meeting was also at hand. Two senate members must be present at the meeting held on Feb. 17, 2024 in which the committee will review the campus clubs and organizations’ budget requests. Only one senator was approved to sit in on the meeting, leaving one spot to be revisited and filled on the agenda for the next time.

Coordinator of Cultural Affairs, Marcei Woods, shared information for an upcoming event on Feb. 6 outside of the campus Dunkin’ that will help advertise a financial aid bootcamp that will help students write scholarship essays and answer questions about the process of getting financial aid. 

“[CGA] represents the student body,… so I’m hoping if each senator tells one or two people how important this is that will bring them to the program.”

CGA is responsible for ‘The Big Event’ which encourages student organizations to connect with the local community through service. Submitted photo.