Staying healthy on campus

Students+enjoying+a+nice+day+on+the+quad.+
Bri Raymond
Students enjoying a nice day on the quad.

Classes are picking up and as we get closer to the end of the semester it is important to remember to take care of your overall physical and mental health. Maintaining a balance between classes, relationships, and extracurricular activities can be challenging but there are many different ways to help boost your mental and physical health throughout the day. Bloomsburg’s campus offers many different outlets to help students stay healthy.

Physical Health

The Student Recreation Center is included with tuition for all Bloomsburg students and is a great way to help your physical health. The gym can be intimidating for students who may not have gone before and are just beginning. There are many different types of activities that students can participate in for all comfort levels. There are Yoga, Zumba, and HIIT classes that anyone can join. “The Zumba class is a must-try! It’s from 5-6 so I use it to take a break from my work and I always feel so refreshed and motivated afterward. It’s such a fun way to clear your mind and move your body!” stated freshman Caitlyn Fischer. Some of the other activities that students can do are the rock climbing wall, lifting weights, playing on the basketball courts, and walking or running on the track. Keeping up with your physical health can improve your brain and mental health, reduce the risk of disease, and strengthen bones and muscles.

Mental Health

Taking care of your mental health is incredibly important as a college student. Constantly focusing on homework and classes can get overwhelming at times and if you are not helping your mental health it can lead you to feeling even more stressed. Even living with roommates and or being in a dorm hall can be chaotic throughout the day so try to take some time to yourself without focusing on homework and take breaks in between studying to reduce high stress levels. Taking time for yourself to do things that you love can allow for a creative outlet and take your mind off of everyday stressors. Counseling services are also available for students for free to give them an outlet to talk to a professional if need be.