Lack of update on Provost

Provost search has students unsure about the administration role

The opinions of Commonwealth University- Bloomsburg students are becoming increasingly important in determining the direction of academic leadership on campus as the university begins the process of hiring a new provost. Commonwealth University’s Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs, Dr. Diana Rogers-Adkinson is leaving to join PASSHE in July.

The institution has made an effort to include faculty and student feedback in the selection process in recent months. However, Rogers-Adkinson has been directing concerns to the search committee via the Provost search website.

Although students are supposed to have a vital role in the search, many have little to no knowledge on the situation.

The role of provost has been publicized for both internal and external candidates. CU is seeking a candidate with a track record of success in teaching and research, a degree in higher education, leadership qualities, relating to students, and some experience managing a budget.

Evidence from our prior reporting shows there is an absence of knowledge from our students on what the provost does, and the search team is not ready to speak at this time. How is the on campus community supposed to be engaged if they are uninformed?

In the capacity of a Pennsylvania state college, a provost is in charge of academic affairs, faculty development, and strategic planning to guarantee that the institution’s educational goal is successfully carried out.

Through open channels of communication like newsletters, campus-wide announcements, or student forums, the provost can explain their role in supporting academic programs, faculty, and student success, promoting understanding and transparency among the student body, and letting students know what the provost does. This is a possible solution to inform the students, but what matters is the action to be taken to inform.

The majority of colleges in Pennsylvania that seek to become provosts typically have a combination of advanced academic credentials, many years of higher education administrative experience, strong leadership qualities, a dedication to supporting academic excellence and diversity, proficient communication skills, and a strategic vision for furthering the institution’s mission and goals.

At this point, it is uncertain what the university wants in a provost due to the confidentiality in the process. But, what exactly is confidential about this search? How can we progress further in the candidate search?