Meet The Voice: Matthew Rushforth: Sports Editor

Our Voice staff spotlight moves on to the Sports section this week! Matthew was born and raised in Bergen County, New Jersey. He attended River Dell High School and graduated in the class of 2016.

Matthew entered BU as a freshman in the fall of 2016. Since he was very young, Matthew knew he wanted to pursue a career in the world of sports communications. Matthew started his freshman year at Bloomsburg as a Mass Communications major and has never looked back.

In high school, Matthew spent all four years in the Television and Media program where he continued to express interest about the world of mass communications. He featured in the school’s weekly TV show and was very social, growing up with many friends. Matthew also played for four years on his high school golf team.

Upon graduation from BU, he hopes to get a job anywhere in the sports communications field. Matthew explains his dream job would be to work in reporting or broadcasting for his favorite ice hockey team, the New Jersey Devils.

During Matthew’s sophomore year at Bloomsburg, he started working in the Sports Information Department for the University as his work study to gain experience in the field of sports communications. Matthew found The Voice with help from the Sports Editor at the time, Jake McDonnell, who also worked in Sports Information.

After writing almost every week in the spring of 2018, Matthew found himself working as the Assistant Sports Editor under Jake. At the end of Spring 2018, Matthew was one of the two Sports Editors for the Voice. He enjoys writing about BU athletics alongside the Voice staff on a weekly basis.
Matthew spends most of his days at Bloomsburg on upper campus working the athletic events or hanging at his apartment in town.

Sports Information and The Voice are not the only things Matthew does on campus; he helps broadcast the sports games on Bloomsburg’s College radio station, WBUQ. Matthew is also in the Delta Pi fraternity and serves as its current Public Relations Chair and Secretary.

In his free time, Matthew is either hanging out with his fraternity brothers or watching a professional sport. A lot of the time, he’s doing both.

He enjoys his free time at home, spending time with his close friends and family. Matthew continues to spend a lot of time in the summer playing golf with his teammates from high school. In his hometown, Matthew has worked four years at his part-time job at a nearby country club, and hopes to have an internship in sports communications this upcoming summer.

If Matthew could give any piece of advice to readers, it would be to not listen to anyone who doubts your personal decisions. Following his dream of working for a pro sports franchise, Matthew has learned it does not matter what anyone else in this world thinks about the career path you want to pursue. By working hard, you’ll be able to achieve anything you put your mind to.