Meet The Voice: Gabrielle Reyes: Features Editor

This week on Meet the Voice, we’re featuring the Features Editor, Gabrielle Reyes. Gabrielle, who is a junior, has been with us since her second semester of freshman year. She is an American Sign Language/English Interpreting Major and Legal studies minor. However, she loves to write for The Voice even if it’s not directly tied to her major.

Gaby is from Yonkers, New York. If you get to meet her in person, she can tell you anything about the city. Her drive is just under of three hours from her house to Bloomsburg.

She chose BU because of the amazing ASL interpreting program. She aspires to one day become an ASL interpreter in the legal setting. A lot of Gaby’s time goes into participating in deaf events and practice signing. Becoming an interpreter is her dream. She contemplates about becoming a lawyer but has yet to fully decide. She also thinks about cleaning up her Spanish skills to become trilingual one day.

She attended high school in Manhattan called Cathedral High School. At this time, she experienced waking up at 5:30 to get ready and ride the subway by 6:50 a.m. She would then take the crosstown bus after the subway ride to arrive just in time at 8 a.m. for school. Some would think she was crazy, but she loved it. The city is home to her. High school was when she started to become more independent and learn responsibility by doing  these things.

Gaby enjoys relaxing at home, being with friends and family, shopping and traveling. She has been to almost all the Caribbean Islands. She goes on trips with her family about twice a year to somewhere new. Thus far, her favorite spots are Aruba, Puerto Rico and Sint Maarten. Her nationality is Puerto Rican and Chinese. She hopes to one day go to China and experience her culture.

As said, she loves shopping and fashion. One of the many reasons she loves New York is because of the freedom in fashion. The city is full of people expressing themselves with fashion. She enjoys doing the same. She will wake up at least two hours before anything just to make sure she will have enough time to get dressed, eat and do her makeup. Even though she knows she doesn’t need to, she wants to.

Gaby is a part of the College of Education student ambassadors and is a new member of IMAGE. She likes to keep herself busy with extracurriculars and homework. When all that is done, she will cook for her roommates and goes to sleep at 10:45 p.m. at the latest.

On Tuesdays, she spends most of her time between classes at the Voice office making sure everything looks good for Features. It takes a little while because she is still learning the ways of the trade but is dedicated to making it perfect.  She loves her fellow staff members at The Voice and enjoys the conversations they share.

Some advice she would want to share is not to be afraid of being yourself. Never let others influence what you look like, how you speak or what you do. It is your life you’re living; make it the best by doing things people said you couldn’t do.
If you see her around, don’t hesitate to say hello!