Meet The Voice: Brooke McCoy: Managing Editor

This semester’s Wednesday night managing editor is senior Brooke McCoy. She was born in Ireland and when she was young, she moved to Lansdale, Pennsylvania with her parents and two sisters.

In 2015, she graduated from North Penn High School in Lansdale and began Bloomsburg in the Fall of 2015 as an Art Studio major with a concentration in Photography. In the past four years, she has added an Art History major and two more concentrations in Graphic Design and Fiber Design.

Brooke began at the Voice during her first semester as a staff photographer and in the beginning of Spring 2016, she was elected to be the Assistant Photo Editor. She began her sophomore year as the Photo Editor. During her time here at Bloomsburg, she has done more than the newspaper; for the past three years, she has participated in the university’s wearable art show, PADME, and has been awarded two Honorable Mentions and one Best in Show.

By the time she was a junior, she began to revive the Student Art Association, with the help of fellow students and art department faculty. She is currently president of the on-campus organization and hopes over the rest of her time here at Bloomsburg, her and her officers are able to create an annual student art show for the members of the club.

If you are ever looking for Brooke, it won’t be too hard! Four of her five classes are in Old Science Hall, and if you wander up to the Fiber Studio, she usually has some sort of fabric in her hand and a marvel movie playing. If she isn’t working on a project, or doing her work-study hours, she is often napping at her apartment or in The Voice office.

Over the past three years at Bloomsburg, Brooke’s art has explored aspects of depression, anxiety, body dysmorphia and how she feels every day. Some of her strongest works is a dress made of wire and Rx bottles, and a wall hanging with a unique pattern she created to stay focused in class.
At the end of the Spring semester, she will embark on a new journey on a 6-week study aboard program, bringing her to Paris, Rome, and Madrid where she will study their museums and culture. She loves to travel, and regularly spends her winters in Ireland with her family, but she is excited to see new countries.

In December 2019, Brooke will graduate with degrees in Art Studio and Art History after she completes all three of her concentrations. After graduation, she plans on working as a photo-journalist, owning her own art studio, and traveling around in Europe.

Brooke’s career on the newspaper has been very unique because she never held a “writing” position. She moved through the line of photography, while casually writing articles for Features and Arts & Entertainment. Her favorite events to take photos of are the concerts on campus and football games, both of which are things she began doing in high school.

Over Brooke’s four years her at The Voice, she has made many amazing friendships that have continued after some have graduated, and she hopes she has made her mark on the organization and the university.