Meet your new best friend, Joe.

Coffee has been the beverage of choice for many caffeine-addicted college students who can barely afford to purchase it, as well as many hardworking adults who rely on coffee to start their busy days. The reliance that many of us have on coffee is astounding, and if it wasn’t for the magnificent plant that produces our life-saving beverage, we would surely be locked in a paradox of exhaustion.

Along with the ability to turn a terrible day into a productive one, coffee has several health benefits that many individuals overlook. Medical News Today reported that coffee has been linked with preventing several diseases such as Type 2 Diabetes, Parkinson’s Disease, liver disease, and even liver cancer. The Harvard School of Public Health researched and concluded that individuals who drank more coffee daily had an 11% decrease in the chances of developing Type 2 Diabetes. While 11% may not seem like a large value, any decrease in the risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes is immensely beneficial!

Coffee does so much more than prevent certain diseases, as the incredible caffeinated beverage also helps individuals maintain a healthy heart! The Harvard School of Public Health also coordinated research that pertained to studying individuals who drank coffee compared to those who do not. It was concluded that the individuals who drank coffee daily had an 11% decrease in the risk of heart failure when compared to the individuals who did not! CardioSmart.org, a website dedicated to heart health and safety, explains that drinking an average amount of coffee (about one full cup per day) can help increase the strength of your heart and decrease the risk of developing heart problems later in life!

For those who take these findings about coffee with a grain of salt, it is proven that coffee certainly does not have a negative effect on one’s health. Regardless of the small research that has been done to warrant praise of coffee’s health benefits, it is true that coffee does not have a correlation to bad health in an individual. While coffee has been found to have a positive effect on human health, one needs to be careful to not consume excessive amounts of the addicting beverage.

As many people know, coffee has a high caffeine content, which provides us with the “woken-up” feeling that gets us through our days. However, much like with energy drinks, drinking excessive amounts of coffee can cause dizziness, agitation, trouble concentrating, and can cause one to crash. Much like with anything else, coffee should be enjoyed in moderation, as that is the best way for it to benefit your health. However, if you are someone like me who relies on coffee to serve as an actual meal most days, you can train your body to process large amounts of caffeine, though I would not recommend solely living off of coffee!

Arguably, the best part about coffee is the seemingly endless possibilities that the beverage has in the ways it can be consumed. For those old fashioned, classier people, plain old black coffee straight from the pot strikes their fancy. For those of you with a sweet tooth, flavored lattes and cappuccinos take the cake. Numerous stores such as the coffee giant, Starbucks, and its sworn enemy, Dunkin’ Donuts, have established worldwide business in the coffee industry, creating millions of jobs for individuals to life a comfortable life. Here on campus, Starbucks has created a brilliant work environment for employees and a wonderful atmosphere for students to enjoy their coffee while completing work or socializing.

Looking at coffee and seeing it as a sort of superfood that benefits one’s health may be difficult, but next time that you order your Americano, latte or plain dark roast, remember that your body, and employees within the coffee industry around the world, are thanking you for consuming the beneficial beverage!

Sabin is a freshmen English major. He is an assistant Op/Ed editor for the Voice