PREVIEW: Football heads to Edinboro

Huskies look to get back on track after season opening loss

Alli Connelly

Redshirt freshman quarterback Logan Leiby (pictured above) scrambles out of the pocket in Bloomsburg’s opening loss to Stonehill College this past Saturday.

Matt Rushforth, Sports Editor

The Bloomsburg University football team will hit the road for the first time in the 2019 season when it heads to Edinboro University on Saturday, Sept. 14.
The Huskies dropped their season and home opener this past Saturday when it fell to visiting Stonehill College by a score of 33-14.
Despite being held to a total of just 168 yards on the afternoon, BU did get a good glimpse of the Huskies potential future quarterback in redshirt freshman Logan Leiby.
Leiby, a quarterback who threw for nearly 10,000 yards in his high school career at Selinsgrove Area High School, showed his toughness in the season opening loss.
The young quarterback did not do much in the air in the loss to Stonehill, throwing for just 52 yards off 12 completions. But Leiby did lead the Huskies in rushing on the afternoon, scrambling for a total of 50 yards off nine attempts.
Although it was not the best showing for the Huskies in their season opener, Leiby did show his potential under center to become the next great quarterback for BU.
Defensively, the Huskies saw junior defensive end Alex Findura post a career-high 12 tackles on his Saturday.
Bloomsburg will now have to look to improve its defensive backfield, as three of the Stonehill touchdowns came from the arm of the quarterback.
The Huskies will now look ahead to Saturday where they face a familiar opponent in Edinboro University, who dropped their season opener to #12 Grand Valley State a week ago.
Bloomsburg will have to look to protect Leiby much more if it has any hopes in the young quarterback to really show his full potential in his throwing arm.
Leiby was sacked only twice in the season opener but found his way out of trouble in the pocket, scrambling a total of nine times.
Bloomsburg will also need more figures to step up on the offensive side against Edinboro as just one offensive touchdown was scored against Stonehill, a six-yard rush from redshirt senior running back Qmac Quiteh which came in the first half of play.
The Huskies have a fully experienced backfield in Quiteh and senior runningback Alex Gooden, but the duo could not find much room as it was held to just 69 yards collectively in last week’s loss.
Bloomsburg will also look for more from senior wide receiver Michael Allen, a three-time All PSAC East second team member, who caught just four passes for 23 yards last Saturday.
Meanwhile, Edinboro also had problems getting started offensively in their season opener, combining for just 120 total yards of offense.
The Fighting Scots are led by redshirt junior quarterback Andrew Tomko, who completed 13 passes for 107 yards in their season opening loss to #12 Grand Valley State.
Leading the receiving core for the Fighting Scots in 2019 is senior wide receiver Ta’Nauz Gregory, who caught four passes good for 54 yards last week. Gregory ranks second all-time in the program in receiving touchdowns with 28.
Along with the Huskies, Edinboro’s offensive line will have to tighten up to give their play makers more room to work around. The Fighting Scots rushed for just 36 yards off 20 attempts against Grand Valley State.
All in all, Bloomsburg has the potential to get back to its winning ways, it’s offensive line just needs to give Leiby enough time in the pocket to find his receivers which we all know he can do after a magical four-year career at Selinsgrove.
Opening kickoff between Bloomsburg and Edinboro is set for 12p.m.

For more information on the matchup, visit buhuskies.com.