BU Swimming dips into 2019-20 season

Men’s & Women’s swimming open season at West Chester

Anna Watson, Staff Writer

Last Friday night on October 18, the Bloomsburg Men’s and Women’s swim teams traveled to West Chester, Pa. to face the Golden Rams and the Lehigh University Mountain Hawks.
With hope, the Bloomsburg Huskies looked to prevail over the highly ranked, Division 1, Lehigh University Mountain Hawks with a victory.
Additionally, head coach Stu Marvin sent in some early-season swimmers with a combined seventeen new recruits for the 2019-2020 season.
In the distance events, Senior Corey Smith competed in the 1,000-yard and 500-yard freestyles. Walking away in fifth and sixth place, Smith finished with times of 10:12.63 and 4:59.52.
Apart from this, junior Collin Hummel fell just shy of first place in the 50-yard freestyle, behind Sophomore Glenn Lasco of Lehigh, with a time of 21:55.
He then went on to contend in the 100-yard freestyle, although slipped, landing in fourth place.
Beyond this, junior Noah Cancro completed the individual event in seventh place with a time of 2:02.14. He continued on to the 200-yard breaststroke, opposing the determined Rams and Mountain Hawks, although by ill luck, landed in eighth place (2:18.85).
Finally, sophomore Colton Schnars ended the 200-yard individual medley in sixth place (2:02.00) and the 200-yard backstroke in fifth (1:59.68) All in all, Corey Smith, Collin Hummel, Noah Cancro, and Colton Schnars were the only four contenders with qualifying times for the Huskies, among the fourteen who competed in the post-conference.
On another note, Friday night was a success for senior Kyle Dix. The redshirt left the 200-yard freestyle feeling accomplished in third place, with a time of 1:45.24.
Later, he became the frontrunner in the 200-yard freestyle race team, which ranked second with a final time of 1:25.38.
As for the underclassmen, freshman Luke Emig and sophomore Pat Agnew were two contenders along with Hummel, who were conference preliminaries in the 50-yard freestyle.
With times of 22.05 and 22.22, Emig and Agnew gave their teammate Sean Finias some motivation to perform well in the 200-yard butterfly.
The junior from Cherry Hill, NJ made his 2019-2020 season debut and returned to the pool, after sitting out as a medical redshirt last season. His PSAC qualifying time of 2:03.93 will energize the Huskies for this weekend’s upcoming competition.
Bloomsburg will host the Susquehanna River Hawks at Nelson Field House Pool on Saturday, October 26. Action begins at 11:00 am.

For more information on the Huskies meet against West Chester and Lehigh, or their upcoming events, please visit BUhuskies.com