Healthy Husky’s tips on healthy eating

Taylor Sutton, Healthy Huskies

For many students, eating habits may change once they start college. With so many food options available, it may be difficult to continue to eat healthy while being surrounded by an abundance of delicious, not so healthy options. Here are some tips on how to eat healthy while on campus: 

Start by using smaller plates and bowls to control portion sizes.

You can also substitute water for soda or drinks high in sugar.

Try to save the unhealthy food for a special occasion. For example, reward yourself with pizza and ice cream on a Friday night because you made it through three exams that week.

Eat fruits and vegetables but be weary of high fat and high sodium items at a salad bar, such as croutons, fried noodles, heavy dressing and bacon bits.

Keep healthy snacks such as fruit, nuts, yogurt or hummus in your room.

Another tip for staying healthy in college is making sure you fit in at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day. The American Heart Association encourages individuals to get at least 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise.

Where can you exercise at BU? One place is the Student Recreation Center which has a cardio room, weight room, climbing wall, dance studio, five courts, an indoor track, boxing area, power room and racquetball courts. Classes such as yoga, zumba, pilates, HIIT and cardio sculpt are also offered at Student Recreation Center. There is also a pool located at the Nelson Field House on Upper Campus.

Quest, a club on campus, offers outdoor programs for students and community members including kayaking, rafting, backpacking, rock climbing, hikes, caving, skiing and more.

There are also “Wellness Wednesday Walks” with Health and Wellness. The walks take place every Wednesday from 12-12:30 p.m. and participants meet in the SSC Lobby.

To learn about other health & wellness information or events happening on campus, contact the health and wellness educator, Kristi Hammaker, about details, questions, or concerns at [email protected].