PREVIEW: Swimming heads to Zippy Invitational

Connor McKay, Sports Editor

This Friday, December 6, marks the beginning of the third-annual Zippy Invitational hosted by the University of Akron. The tournament is a three-day long event in which both the men’s and women’s teams will compete. The two teams have a matching record for the season up to this point. For the men’s team, they sit at 5-2 with a five meet win streak. Their record at home is undefeated and their only losses are to West Chester University and Lehigh University. They have a record of 3-1 within their division. The women’s team has an exact matching record.
Tournament time for all three days of competition will begin at 9:00 a.m. sharp and will be an all-day event. Last year, the event was held from November 30 to December 2. Both Husky teams are on a five-meet win streak and look to be successful in the invitational. The invitational acts as a good mid-season competition, where teams can see where they stand against over teams. The Huskies will use the meet to prepare for their end of season Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) meet.
The tournament was a success for the men’s team, having placed second overall. They were beaten by the Oakland University, who had a score of 2376. The Husky men racked up a total score of 1528 with five gold medals, seven silver medals, and four bronze medals. On the women’s side, they placed seventh behind Akron University, Buffalo University, Oakland University, Bowling Green, University Marshall, and Toledo University. First place Akron won with a total score of 2092. The Husky women won six gold medals and four silver medals adding up to a score of 426.
The University of Akron’s three-day Zippy Invitational will have a total of 31 events and their only (PSAC) competitor is Clarion University. Clarion University’s men’s swimming team has an overall record of 2-4 and have yet to play a divisional meet. For the women’s team, their record stands at 2-2. The Eagles have a 1-1 conference record, and are on a one-meet win streak. Their men’s team placed fifth, while the women took home ninth place. A score of 874 was earned by the guy’s team and the girls had a score of 341.
Both Husky teams are wished the best of luck as they advance towards their meet. Being a three-day event, the Huskies will be staying at Akron University and away from campus. Hopefully the Huskies will be able to replicate their successes from last year and both win the meet. The Huskies next meet will be against Penn State University where they will return home to battle it out inside the Nelson Field House.