Healthy Huskies on mental wellness

Natalie Wittman, Healthy Huskies

The halfway point of the semester is here! Some us may be feeling overwhelmed, burnt out or are counting down the days until summer break. The Healthy Huskies want you to know that it is important to take care of your mental health and are here to remind you of a few ways you can do that.
Fresh Check Day is next Thursday, March 28 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in KUB Multi-Purpose B. This event is a fun, interactive day to learn about mental health and the resources available on campus.

There will be free food, giveaways, and music! The purpose of the event is to create a safe atmosphere where students can feel comfortable discussing mental health, suicide prevention and the resources on campus.

That same night, Scott Prendergast from Minding Your Mind will be on campus to speak about the struggles he has had with his own mental health and how he has changed his views on life to think in a more positive way. The event starts at 6:30 p.m. in KUB Ballroom, and there will be light refreshments following his talk.

There are also a number of other resources to take advantage of on campus. The Counseling Center on the second floor of the SSC offers walk-in hours every day from 1-2:30 p.m.

Some other important resources, to name a few, include the Student Health Center, DAWN Office, our Health Educator, Kristi Hammaker, The McDowell Institute, the Women’s Resource Center, LGBTQA Resource Center, Dean of Students Office, Office of Military and Veterans Resources, Multicultural Center, and the Rec Center.

In addition to Healthy Husky events, there are also other events hosted by different resources next week. On Monday, March 25 at 5 p.m. in KUB 230, the Multicultural Center hosts speaker Philip Roundtree as he presents “Black Mental Health Matters.” Then on Tuesday, March 26 at 7 p.m. in McCormick 1303, the University Disabilities Advisory Committee welcomes a father-son duo to discuss their focus on how to live a good life and create an inclusive society. Check both of these speakers out as they will not disappoint!

Remember to keep watch for the Husky PAWS on Wellness Wednesday to obtain information and giveaways on the health topic for the week.
If your club, organization, class, or residence hall would like to run a program focused on a health topic, contact the Husky PAWS at [email protected] or [email protected] to receive information and giveaways.