PREVIEW: Huskies take 3-4 record to Lock Haven: Bloomsburg in search of second straight PSAC win

The Bloomsburg University football team takes a 3-4 record on the road to battle Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) foe Lock Haven University. Kickoff is set for 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 20 at Lock Haven’s Hubert Jack Stadium.

Bloomsburg is coming off a 26-18 conference win over East Stroudsburg this past Saturday. The Huskies showed dominance in the run game with an impressive three players rushing for over 100 yards in the contest. BU running backs Hakeem Sillman, Qmac Quiteh and Alex Gooden helped the Huskies outrush the Warriors 396 yards to 218 yards.

All three Huskies hit triple-digit figures in the win. Gooden scored two touchdowns in the victory and was recently named PSAC-East offensive player of the week.

Starting at quarterback for the Huskies against East Stroudsburg was freshman Logan Leiby, who was the first true freshman to start at QB for BU since 1993.

Leiby had record breaking numbers at Selinsgrove Area High School which had fans on the edge of their seats to see what the young freshman could do.

Leiby completed three passes for twenty-six yards in the game and was sacked twice on the opening drive, which stopped what was hoping to be a story line day for the true freshman. To make matters worse, redshirt sophomore Erik Benjamin relieved Leiby’s duties when he went down with an apparent leg injury.

Benjamin completed just one pass in the win but it was good for 31 yards and a touchdown to redshirt junior Michael Allen. Benjamin also managed to score a rushing touchdown off a 12-yard scramble and run early in the third quarter.

Defensively, the Huskies picked off ESU a total of three times in the game, two belonging to freshman Tyshaun Pollard and one from redshirt senior Dexter Jordan. The Huskies defense managed to sack ESU’s Ben Moser a total of five times on the afternoon. Redshirt senior Jash Salak posted yet another terrific game with six tackles and a fumble recovery.

Lock Haven enters the game with a 1-6 (1-2 PSAC) record on the year and in search to snap a three-game losing streak. The Bald Eagles are coming off a 41-0 loss to Kutztown this past Saturday. Lock Haven’s only win in 2018 comes from a thrilling 44-41 victory over East Stroudsburg on Sept. 22.
Leading the Lock Haven offense this season appears to be sophomore running back Chantz Swartz, who has rushed for 434 yards this season and is averaging 5.3 yards per carry.

Lock Haven has shown to rotate quarterbacks in previous weeks this season with redshirt senior Cameron Tobias and redshirt freshman Ethan Persha.
Lock Haven enters the matchup in need of a victory, as their schedule continues to toughen with upcoming games against conference rivals Shippensburg and West Chester.

Bloomsburg now sits at  a tie for third in the division with four games left to play in 2018. They enter the game against Lock Haven  tied with Millersville (2-5, 2-2 PSAC) for third in the division.

After the game against Lock Haven, Bloomsburg will host its final home game of the season as they welcome Millersville to Redman Stadium on October 27. The Huskies then hit the road for the remainder of 2018 with scheduled games against West Liberty University and Slippery Rock.