Lessons in Leadership, Journey of Purpose

The Fredrick Douglass Institute for Academic Excellence and the Zeigler College of Business band together for a guest speaking event.

Melanie Aikins, Howl Editor

The Fredrick Douglass Institute for Academic Excellence in association with Ziegler College of Business and the Ziegler Institute for Professional Development presents, Lessons in Leadership, Journey of Purpose. This speaker series creates an opportunity for students to resonate with the journey of various professionals. Kicking off this event is, Camille Batiste, CPSM., C.P.M.

This Monday, April 11th at 6:00 pm in McCormick 1303; Batiste will be present to share her journey and the obstacles she has overcome along the way.

FDAIE provided a statement about the speaker series and its importance,

“The FDAIE, through its speaker series, seeks to evaluate the academic experience of students from all disciplines. Our speaker, Mrs. Batiste, presents a perspective that shares lessons in leadership for all, as well as the importance of social justice in corporate spaces.”

Camille Batiste holds a bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering and Economics from Stanford University. Continuing her education, an MBA was earned at the University of Louisiana. These accomplishments led to her first position at Honeywell Entertainment, in manufacturing. At Honeywell, she was certified as a Six Sigma black belt before transitioning to procurement; here she held roles of heightened responsibility. Batiste was tasked with leading teams across various direct and indirect categories in the company’s performance materials and technologies. She was a contributing member of Honeywell Manufacturing for 16 years

This drive for success secured Batiste a senior vice president position in Global Supply Chain and Procurement at Archer Daniels Midland Co. In this role, she leads ADM’s global supply chain, including sales and operations. She currently serves on the board of directors of the Institute for Supply Management.

These accomplishments did not come in the absence of struggle. Camille Batiste was at an immediate disadvantage being an immigrant woman of color in corporate America.

She will be providing her guidance on navigating the professional world. Entering the workforce is an unnerving milestone for college students. Hearing the reality of successes and failures from a highly established professional will reinforce the idea that we all have the resources within ourselves to succeed.

Throughout her career, Batiste’s coworkers and peers have had only positive reactions to her leadership style and collaborative skills. Russell Carter, an old coworker, who now holds a director position of Business Development at Bohler, says,

“Her understanding of our business, our function, and our team; combined with her vision for how to deliver value to our internal customers and our external investors connected the purpose of our work with a focus on truly meaningful outcomes”

All students are encouraged to utilize this resource. It will provide insightful information about the workforce while upholding Fredrick Douglass legacy which Promotes academic excellence among students and enhances their understanding and appreciation of human diversity.