Tax Paying Made Easy Through VITA

Melanie Aikins, Howl Editor

Income, expenses, interest. Fax tiling is a required and challenging service globally. United ways VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance,) Program is offering free tax services for residents right here in Bloomsburg Pennsylvania.

Now through April 9th, 2022, the United Way of Columbia, and Montour Counties (cmcuw.org) is offering their free annual tax preparation and filing assistance to students and locals. Get help filing your federal, state, and local taxes for FREE.

Services like TurboTax and local accountants can be difficult to attain and hard to maintain. With this local VITA service, accessibility is right around the corner. Taxes will be scanned and returned within 60-minutes if an appointment is scheduled prior. Convenience and efficiency, the dynamic duo.

Alexandra Delgado, a senior at Bloomsburg University, interning at United Way, spoke out about this resource.

“It’s an awesome free tax filing program for students and we need to get the word out. I wish I knew about it; I could have saved $75.”

If interested, there are two ways to go about partaking in this program. Community members can drop their taxes off at Wesley United Methodist Church located at 130 W. 3rd Street Bloomsburg PA. Appointments are being held Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM and 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM, and Saturdays 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM. An in-person appointment for hands on assistance is available for scheduling through (570)-784-3134 or online at https://cmcuw.org/vita.

Appointments are also being held at the Danville Area Community Center located at 1041 Liberty St, Danville, PA 17821. Scheduling is available on March 25th, April 1st, and April 8th from 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM.

The VITA organization is partnering with Bloomsburg’s very own accounting program. Anyone who makes an annual income of $73,000 or less is a shoe in for this program.

“The VITA program is a win-win for the community and the volunteers,” says Jessica Halligan, a Bloomsburg University Accounting Major, and a VITA site coordinator.

Professionals base their lives work around finance and accounting. These experts are giving back to the community and need our help in spreading the wealth. Register through VITA today!