Club Corner: Little Huskies

Bloomsburg University’s Little Huskies is an organization that hosts free events on campus for children and their families living in the Bloomsburg area. Mia Tomassoni, a senior early childhood education major and the vice president of the club, explains that the point of the club is to bring families together and give children role models in the community to look up to.

Tomassoni describes the club as “a great way to work with kids one-on-one in a smaller group setting. It is not overwhelming because it’s more of a station-based event.” Tomassoni also expresses the importance of these events for families, stating, “It is more family time for them too because they will come out and some of the parents will participate with them in what they are doing.”

The members of the Little Huskies exec board at their most recent event. From left to right: Claire Schmoke (President), Stephanie Graham (PR), Mia Tomassoni (Vice President). Photo submitted by Mia Tomassoni.

Little Huskies is mainly made up of education majors, though students in any major are welcome to attend and be a part of it. For those members who are education majors, involvement in this club and their events gives them good experience working with kids of all ages. According to Tomassoni, the events are “good practice to have us prepare for when we are going into the field of teaching and being able to work with kids.”

Children and families from all over the Bloomsburg area are welcome to attend events. Normally, there are about 12–15 families that attend each event, usually the same families each time. However, that number can fluctuate based on the event’s theme and activities. The events are held once a month and are usually focused around holidays or celebrations going on that month.

The Little Huskies exec board typically meets at the beginning of the semester to plan out what they will do for each event and the dates at which the events will be held. The ideas for these events come from both members and the exec board, though the exec board is tasked more with executing the ideas while members help brainstorm. Tomassoni states, “We definitely want the members to be involved,” explaining that she never wants them to feel excluded.

A photo of the crafts children had the opportunity to make at the “Spring Fling” Little Huskies event held on April 21st. Photo submitted by Mia Tomassoni.

In the past, Little Huskies have done a trunk or treat, an easter egg hunt, a Valentines Day themed event, and more. Events are usually set up in the form of stations around the room for the kids to visit, each with an activity or craft for them to do. There is also usually an introduction table, telling the families what will be going on at the event, as well as a snack table for the families to enjoy.

General club meetings are held on the first Monday of every month at 8 p.m. in Hartline. A usual meeting starts out with a refresher on the requirements to be in the club and a recap of the event that was held in the previous month. They then move on to discussing fundraisers that will be going on in the upcoming month, if there are any, followed by giving members the opportunity to sign up to help at future events.

Currently, there are between 20 and 30 active club members. There are a few requirements to be an active member of the Little Huskies Club. Tomassoni states that, per semester, “You, at least, have to attend two meetings and participate in one of our fundraisers, and then you have to at least come to one or two of the events.”

Mia Tomassoni, the vice president of Little Huskies. (Maddie Bolger)

Tomassoni joined Little Huskies her freshman year and remembers how much she enjoyed participating in the fun events the club planned. Additionally, Tomassoni was drawn to Little Huskies as it would give her a fun way to prepare for her future profession. As she continued with the club, she became more interested in planning events, which is what led her to take on an exec board position.

She states, “I just really enjoyed planning the events and helping plan the events, so I stayed with it. Because I wasn’t too sure if I was going to stay with it, but I am really glad I did.”

Follow the Little Huskies Instagram page to get more club updates.