Shooting to Build a Team and Championship

photo via Bloomsburg Marketing and Communication

Toron James, Sports Writer

Lauren Kirsch first picked up a basketball in the second grade. She was in elementary school playing around when a basketball first touched her hands. As she was growing up, her parents would always teach her things about the game of basketball. That would include dribbling, passing and shooting the basketball. Kirsch also attended basketball training at a young age to learn the game. So, yes, basketball was in her DNA, but growing up Kirsch did not play only basketball. 

“I played other sports growing up like soccer, and I also played volleyball, but in high school I kind of quit all the other sports and focused on basketball because I knew I wanted to play in college,” said Kirsch of the sport she had first loved.

Kirsch attended Lower Dauphin High school where she was a two-year captain of the basketball team.

Coming out of high school, Kirsch was being recruited by Bloomsburg and a handful of Division 3 schools. Ultimately Kirsch had some ties to Bloomsburg and committed to the Huskies.

“Both of my sisters went to Bloomsburg so I was really comfortable with school. When I came up for my visit, all the girls were really nice and welcoming, so I knew that I would fit in with the team,” said Kirsch. 

“I really like the coaches, they are really upfront and tell you everything how it is,” she added. 

From the little girl that first picked up a basketball in second grade, fast forward to the young woman who is the  point guard for the Bloomsburg Women’s basketball team. 

After losing their two star players to graduation, Kirsch knew her role had to expand. Kirsch is relied on more and more to create more opportunities for herself and her teammates.  The team also looks to her to hit open shots when needed. 

In early February, Kirsch’s team relied on her and she delivered. She had a career night with 19 points capped off with the game winner with under 10 seconds left to beat Lock Haven University, 48-45. 

When asked about her highlight so far in the season she didn’t  hesitate to bring up her game-winning shot against Lock Haven. 

Kirsch is known as a sharp shooter for the Huskies.

“I shoot a lot in the summer. I shoot with my dad and my high school coach helped me a lot with my shot,” said Kirsch. 

Throughout her career, Kirsch hasn’t had many hardships, but she did mention how tough it is playing basketball in college. 

“In college it’s tough playing a sport just balancing everything, your social life, your school life, and then basketball so that can be hard,” said Kirsch.  

As for goals here at Bloomsburg, she wants to win a PSAC championship and keep building as a team with her teammates. 

Kirsch is a Business Management major and knows in the future there’s a lot of things she can do with that.  

You can check out Kirsch and the Huskies before the season wraps up. As they have remaining games against Shippensburg, Kutztown and West Chester.