Salads, Subway, Coffee, And More: An Update on Campus Dining

A line of students waiting for Dunkin’ Donuts in Scranton Commons. Photo by Caleb Brown.

Over the summer, University Dining Services has introduced several new additions on campus. 

The most significant change is to the Scranton Commons, with the new addition of Dunkin’ taking the place of the Commons Starbucks.

The hours of operation are 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. It will be supported by a mix of full-time, part-time, as well as student employees.

Lauren Barnes, an exercise science major, is ecstatic about the new Dunkin’ addition to the BU campus.“I love Dunkin’ it’s my favorite, so I’m very excited.”, Barnes said. 

Similar to other campus locations, they accept Flex, Husky Gold, BU Bucks, cash, and credit as forms of payment. 

That is not the only change coming to the Commons, however. The Commons will also see an upgraded Chef Connection Station, additional made-to-order salad options, and enhanced Salad Bar offerings.

Another change at Commons is Toss, a brand-new dining station that serves chef-inspired handmade salads Monday through Friday.

The Commons Subway underwent a redesign. John Scheers, Marketing Manager of Dining Services, says the redesign is to match Subway’s new restaurant brand standards. 

Subway will offer a selection of grab-and-go hoagies as a new addition to Late Night at Husky Lounge this semester. 

The Husky Lounge has changes in the form of new operating hours at Bagel Deli, which will now be extending its hours of operation until 9 p.m. 

These dining updates create more opportunities for employment for students across all dining locations. Scheers noted the pay for all student positions is now 12 dollars an hour with flexible scheduling

Taylor Pagliaro, Social Work student, emphasized the improvement from last year’s conditions. “I think it’s pretty awesome compared to last year, and I think it’s awesome we have a Dunkin’.”, Pagliaro said. 

Even non-students are enjoying the new improvements. Austin Robins offers job support for some employees on campus. He said, “I like that Starbucks still exists on campus, and Dunkin’ is a fresh addition to campus. Subway is pretty awesome, and a lot of options upstairs.”