CU houses 2023 County Commissioner Forum

On Nov. 2, the 2023 County Commissioner Forum was hosted in Hartline, giving four candidates the opportunity to share with constituents their plans if elected into the position. The event was hosted by the Columbia Montour Chamber of Commerce and put together in an effort to give constituents a chance to make some last-minute decisions in light of the upcoming election on Nov. 7.

“It’s critically important that the public have opportunities like these to engage our leaders, hold them to high standards, and work together to make our communities more attractive to live, learn, work, and play,” said Chris Berleth, President of the Chamber Columbia Montour and the moderator of the event.

Unlike more traditional election events, which often feature a debate-style setup, the event was designed as a forum.

“…[T]he purpose of the event is [to] bring light to the issues, not heat to the conversation,” said Berleth.

The forum brought out roughly 30 attendees, with less than one-third being Commonwealth University Bloomsburg students.

Candidates Ed Sanders III, David Kovach, Dean Brewer, and Randy Karschner took center stage at Hartline’s Kuster Auditorium. Each candidate was asked the same questions and given two minutes for a response.

The topics discussed included budgeting priorities, energy, broadband expansion, child care, transportation, economic development, elections and policies.

(Left to right) Chris Berleth, Ed Sanders III, David Kovach, Dean Brewer, and Randy Karschner at the end of the event. Photo by Novalea Verno.
Attendees prepare for the beginning of the 2023 County Commissioner Forum. Photo by Novalea Verno.