A change in airwaves: Confer Media Center Director resigns

Nicholas+Thompson%2C+Maddy+Mamourian%2C+Becca+Sokolowski%2C+Isabella+Salvatore%2C+and+Caleb+Brown+sit+at+their+microphones+in+the+temporary+Waller+radio+station.+
Lura Good
Nicholas Thompson, Maddy Mamourian, Becca Sokolowski, Isabella Salvatore, and Caleb Brown sit at their microphones in the temporary Waller radio station.

The Media & Journalism Department is searching for a new candidate to take on the role of radio advisor and director of the upcoming Confer Media Center after the new, upbeat titleholder stepped down. Kerby Confer, a long-time successful radio entrepreneur, along with his wife Judy, donated around $5 million towards the building of a new media center and the hiring of an advisor.

Lura Good, who holds a master’s degree in higher education and curriculum development, took on the role for the recent semester, where she has built up the activity in the student radio club, WHSK 91.1FM. Since the start of her involvement, the radio club has hosted many more shows and power hours throughout the semester, in addition to holding DJ events every other Saturday at Brewski’s Coffee & Bar. Good had taken on the role of advising the radio club and recently joined the BUnow team with Dr. Richard Ganahl.

Now, she is going to take on a new role at Bucknell as a Small Business Developer Business Consultant. She sent her resignation letter in to James S. Brown, Dean of College of Arts, Sciences, & Humanities, noting: “It is with a heavy heart that I tender my resignation. Working with you, the students at WHSK and the members of both faculty and staff at Bloomsburg University has been an invaluable experience that has enriched my professional journey. I am immensely grateful for the opportunities, support, and guidance I’ve received during my short time working with you all. The knowledge and skills I’ve acquired will undoubtedly be instrumental in my future endeavors…”

The advisor sent an email on December 12th to four faculty members who worked with her through the department and student involvement, says Dr. Ganahl. The leading paragraph of the email stated, “I wanted to update you all on a few things; I apologize, I know this email comes out of left field. I was presented with an opportunity to work with the SBDC at my alma mater, Bucknell, and after careful consideration of the position and the variety of opportunities it presents, I found it impossible to pass up.” Throughout the rest of the email, she shared her condolences and thanks for a strong eight months at the Bloomsburg campus.

About a week ago on LinkedIn, the Media & Journalism department chairperson, Dr. Jason Genovese, posted to the platform, saying, “Commonwealth University of Pennsylvania is looking for a Confer Media Center Director to serve as the professional advisor to our student media organizations and who will be an integral member of the professional team within the Media & Journalism Department. The Director specifically will manage the university’s radio station and provide direct leadership, administration, and general oversight for process and production of the University’s student media. I’m happy to share further details as I am able. Would love to see some of our alumni apply!”

Genovese hinted at the chance for a Husky alumni to take on the role, just as Good did in her new career at Bucknell. What new voice will lead the members of the student radio club and take on the leading of the upcoming Confer Media Center?