Making the most of Her Campus

Maeyelyn Acevedo Santiago
Student Maeyelyn Acevedo Santiago.

Since 2020, the Bloomsburg “Her Campus” chapter has remained inactive, with “Does an Apple a Day Really Keep the Doctors Away?” being the chapter’s last published article a few days shy of the COVID-19 lockdowns, leaving it frozen in time. 

A Bloomsburg student is currently attempting to revive the Bloomsburg chapter. Maeyelyn Acevedo Santiago was inspired to revive the Bloomsburg chapter while scrolling through social media. There, she came across someone who had gotten a job working as a writer for “Her Campus.”

Before seeing that post, she had never heard of Her Campus before and said, “I thought that it was very interesting. I then looked up Her Campus and saw it was a digital magazine for college students.”

After discovering Bloomsburg once had a chapter and reading some of their articles, she thought, “Wouldn’t it be nice to get that active again on campus?” She was driven to take the initiative. 

That initiative comes with the prospect of finding new members to fill certain key roles,  such as the senior editor, social media director, marketing and publicity coordinator, and event coordinator. 

She hopes that by reviving the Bloomsburg chapter, she can create another organization for students to come together and create a publication that is worthy of reading and something for people to enjoy.

Speaking on some of the opportunities this can bring, she said that through her research, students were able to find employment and experience for other writing outlets such as Vogue and Buzzfeed.

She views it as an opportunity or an outlet for students to express themselves while obtaining new skills. Whether that is through talking about culture, fashion, wellness, life, or careers, there is space for everybody to express themselves. 

Anyone interested in writing for Her Campus can contact Maeyelyn at [email protected]