CU responds to fake active shooter report at Bucknell University

An active shooter report was sent out to the campus of Bucknell University at 6:37 pm on March 29th. The campus went on lockdown for 45 minutes before it was revealed to be a hoax from a caller in Virginia.

Officers from the Buffalo Valley Regional Police Department, Milton, Mifflinburg, the Union County Sheriff’s Office and Pennsylvania State Police were among those present at the scene along with Bucknell University Department of Public Safety.

“Commonwealth University’s police departments follow nationally accepted policies and best practices that cover these types of law enforcement matters. Our university policies are robust and well established and our law enforcement officers are trained and prepared to respond effectively. Incidents of swatting are on the rise across the country. Our dispatchers and officers are trained in detecting and responding to these types of calls appropriately. The safety of the entire Commonwealth University is always our highest priority,” said Elizabeth Arnold, Executive Director of Communications and Editorial Director.

When asked to further comment on the issue, the BU Police Department pointed The Voice back to Arnold’s comment without further elaboration.

This incident was sobering to many in the Husky community as Bucknell is a campus many are familiar with as it’s only 29 miles away. The event sparked conversations on Bloomsburg’s campus on what would students do if something like that happened here.

“It’s definitely scary, knowing it could happen here anytime and that Bucknell is so close,” said freshman medical imaging student, Cadence Barnes.