Event planning class hosts annual Earth Day event

Carlee Ferguson folding shirts that her class made for the event.
Carly Busfield

The quadrangle was filled with tables, activities, green shirts, and more for Earth Day. From DIY bird feeders and succulent sales to bamboo toilet paper, the grass area was filled with a variety of fun for the Green Initiative event.

Dr. Paula Hopeck’s event planning class hosted the annual Earth Day event on the academic quad at the Bloomsburg campus on Wednesday, April 24, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Check-in began at 9 a.m. with a check-in table for the event to all participants, who are made up of various student organizations. Luckily, no poor weather or rain hit the event.

“The students had been working on this event for months,” said Dr. Hopeck, who proudly hosts this annual event with her students.

Months of preparation

Nick Thompson, a senior in the event planning class, said they split into six groups. Every group represented a different sector in preparing for this eco-friendly event.

The logistics team managed the overall event and coordinated the efforts of all the teams for the day. The sponsor team is responsible for obtaining donations for giveaways, while the BU Alliance Team is responsible for coordinating the activities and participation at the Bloomsburg campus.

Heavy promotion was made on and off campus by the promotions team. The catering team organized the setup and serving of food and beverages. They ensured to use Earth-friendly eating and drinking supplies throughout the event.

To gain participation and awareness from other organizations, the community alliances team handled communication with organizations and groups beyond the university, according to Thompson.

Stamp to raffle

The main activity of the event was to earn tickets to enter into various raffles. Attendees are given a stamp card, which serves as a game ticket. Stamp each table marker on the game ticket to earn raffle tickets, with each stamp counting for tickets.

Student organizations signed up to participate in this event and to provide an activity from their tables. FBLA, WHSK 91.1FM, NAACP, NCASC, and many other student-run groups volunteered to be a part of this event.

The general tables, about twenty of them, counted for one ticket. The larger prize tables, the Eco Art Contest and Topics That Matter, counted for three raffle tickets.