Questions remain over released faculty

Ed Murphy, Digital Managing Editor

As of last week, two top administrators at Bloomsburg University were released from their long-time positions; the details surrounding their separation from the university remain unclear.
Donald W. Young and Dione Somerville both had a long track record here at the university; Young worked at Bloomsburg for 37 and a half years and most recently served as the Dean of Students, while Somerville held the position of Vice President of Student Affairs since 2011. She also had previously been in consideration for president of Edinboro University and St. Cloud State University.
When asked for comments on the release of the administrators. Director of Communications and Marketing Tom McGuire stated: “We do not comment on personnel issues.”
In a Facebook post on October 20, Young wrote that “one should always stay true to one’s values and never compromise oneself, always try to do the right thing and always treat people fairly with respect and dignity,” additionally stating, “Knowing that I stayed true to these principles, I enter retirement.”
Judge Mary Jane Bowes and Ramona H. Ally, members of the Bloomsburg University Council of Trustees, were not able to be reached at the time of publication.
Student member of the Council of Trustees John Thomas declined to comment based on lack of knowledge of the situation.