Huskies Fall Short on Homecoming

Toron James, Sports Writer

In a tight game that came down to the last play and final minute for the Bloomsburg Huskies Football team. The Huskies went on to lose 27-21 in a division match-up to the East Stroudsburg Warriors. The crowd was rocking and pumped up for the 2022 Bloomsburg Homecoming football game.

“It was a great atmosphere, the crowd was really into the game, they had our backs all game, ” said Soph. Defensive back Aasim Muhmmad.

The Warriors struck first going on a 6-play 75-yard drive. Which led to a 37-yard touchdown run by Fr. Tahir Mills. The Warriors would go on to take a 7-0 lead.

The Huskies then went on to tie the game 7-7 with a 59-yard fumble recovery touchdown by Gr. Chris Monaco. The Warriors would then go on to respond to make the game 14-7 on a 1-yard rushing touchdown by Sr. Quarterback Jake Cirillo. The Warriors would go on to add another three points on a 49-yard field goal to extend their lead to 17-7 at halftime.

The Warriors struck again adding three points and a 40-yard field goal to make the game 20-7. The Huskies would inch closer with a huge block punt return for a touchdown by Soph. Owen Anderson early in the third quarter to make the game 20-14. But the Warriors just wouldn’t go away Fr. Justin Cook went on to score on a 99-yard kick return touchdown to extend the lead 27-14.

Quarterback KJ Riley would throw a 39-yard touchdown to John Ayres in the third quarter and that’s all the scoring the Huskies would get.

The Huskies’ comeback attempt fell short as they were stopped at the Warriors 2 yard line on four straight plays. The Warriors’ defense held their own as they denied the Huskies a 27-21 win.

“ It was a tough game and a great one we just fell short today, this loss will only add fuel to the fire,” said Muhammad.

Quarterback KJ Riley finished 13-21 on 181 passing yards with a touchdown pass. Soph. Nas Jones added six catches for 62 yards. Sophomore Linebacker Ryan D’Ambra led the Huskies with eight tackles.

The Huskies fell to 3-5 overall and 2-3 in league play. The Warriors’ record would improve to 3-5 overall and 2-3 in league play.

The Huskies will be on the road next week as they face red-hot Shepherd University at 12pm.