Commonwealth University partners with Google

Commonwealth University will join seven other Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) schools in partnering with Google to offer students the ability to earn industry-recognized career certificates.

Kevin Hensil, the Director of Media Relations for PASSHE, was asked what students can expect to gain from this partnership. 

He said, “The hope is for students to graduate with a degree and one or more of these industry-recognized credentials.” 

The Google Certificate Program offers several courses ranging from data analytics to cybersecurity, project management, and UX design. Google employees created the certificates to support skills for in-demand jobs. 

Speaking on this, Hensil also stated, “This can allow students to be more competitive, allowing them to receive a higher salary.”

The university’s offering is part of a much larger initiative that sees PASSHE as the only higher education system in the state that is offering these Google career certificates. This program offers training in some of the state’s most in-demand careers and allows students to take part in these online courses while still pursuing their regular undergraduate programs.

The program includes a consortium of over 150 companies, including Pennsylvania-based companies such as Expedient and the Project Management Group.

Emmett McLaughlin, a business and management major, said: “I think it’s a great idea. It can add something you can’t necessarily learn in a classroom and can be important for your major or a certain career path.”

Nader Beatty also shared his opinion.

“I think it’s a good opportunity… especially for me being undecided; it gives me more options to look at.”

The certificates will be offered through the program and will also be approved by the American Council on Education (ACE), meaning that courses can help fulfill elective credits for current students.

When asked if there were any additional benefits that students could expect, Hensil said, “It’s really about the certificate programs.”

However, he spoke on another use of the program, saying, “The university can offer the program to non-students in the community depending on how the university handles it and can garner better relations with the local communities and employers.”