Roving Reporter: Where do BU students eat?

Students+wait+in+line+at+the+Italian+Kitchen+in+the+Husky+Lounge.+
Carly Busfield
Students wait in line at the Italian Kitchen in the Husky Lounge.

Despite the unconventional eating patterns which come with being a college student, Bloomsburg certainly has many options when it comes to dining on campus and also opting for downtown options such as restaurants and cafes. We were surprised how many students preferred on-campus eating, especially meals from Scranton Commons. “I like the pasta there,” said sophomore Alessia Eisloeffo, who we found in Kehr Union.

Others prefer the chicken parm or restaurant night. “Restaurant night is gas,” said Ethan Sickler who we interviewed just outside Husky Lounge. Underneath Scranton Commons is a sparsely visited sushi restaurant called Bento Sushi. Although it’s not as popular as the other dining facilities located on lower campus, freshman Brooklyn Milnne says it’s her top choice. “My favorite is the spicy california crunch roll,” said Brooklyn.

Chick-fil-a seemed to be a dominant spot for lunch when it came to attracting students. It even brings in families on road trips, who usually are annoyed at Google Maps when they find themselves in the middle of a University. The popular fast food chain is in the Soltz building, which includes suite style residence halls, the lower campus mailroom, and the bookstore.

“I get the regular spicy chicken sandwich with fries,” said freshman Parker Wellinger. Another great option for sandwiches during the day is the bagel shop located in Husky Lounge. “I like the turkey wrap,” said freshman Cambri Cleavland. “Oh, and also the cinnamon raisin bagels,” she continued.

While many students prefer the convenience of meal plans and flex locations featured on lower and upper campus, some students such as Justin Williams prefer off-campus options. “I like the gringo burrito from Fourth Taco,” Williams said of the meat and cheese combination.

Although BU offers student-favorite Chick-fil A, some students opt for Crown Fried Chicken on Main Street, which also has other meats to choose from. “The Philly cheese steak there is really good,” said Keshawn Martin, who we found just outside Dunkin Donuts, which is located down the stairs from Commons. 

If you’re willing to go a little further, Columbia Boulevard has all kinds of options. Junior computer science student, Ben Nwokolo, told us about Oliran Hibachi Steakhouse which is just one of the great spots off Route 11. “They have steak, fried rice, and also good shrimp,” he said of the popular platters offered by the Japanese restaurant. 

Fueling in college can be tough, but luckily there are many different options for all types of eaters on and off campus. Going out with friends or grabbing a bite to go can be a great way to enjoy the college experience and connect with others.