Softball drops pair of one-run games: BU Softball falls short in doubleheader against Holy Family

The Bloomsburg University softball team saw its winless streak reach seven straight on Sunday afternoon as the Huskies dropped a pair of one-run games at Holy Family University. The Tigers needed nine innings to take game one, 4-3, and then rallied for a 5-4 win in game two to complete the sweep. Bloomsburg dropped to 7-11 overall while Holy Family improved to 10-8 on the season.

In the opener, senior Taylor Parker (Dewart, Pa./Warrior Run) was locked up with Holy Family’s Koreen Orozco in a pitcher’s duel for the first three innings as neither team was able to dent the scoreboard until the fourth.

In the top of the fourth, the Huskies struck first to take a 1-0 lead. Junior Emily Mayhew (Perkasie, Pa./Pennridge) led off the inning with a double to right field and then advanced to third when freshman Kelsey Impink (Schwenksville, Pa./Perkiomen Valley) laced a single to center. Senior Holly Peacock (Williamsport, Pa./Jersey Shore) plated Mayhew on a squeeze bunt to get the Huskies on the board. However, Orozco got out of the inning without any further damage.

Holy Family responded with three runs in the bottom half of the frame to take a 3-1 lead. Jennifer Trapp had the big hit of the inning with a two-run double down the left field line that scored Brianna Scotto and Orozco to give the Tigers a 2-1 lead. Olivia Nolan drove home the third run of the inning with an RBI single.

Bloomsburg scored a run in both the fifth and sixth innings to tie the game at 3-3. In the fifth, freshman Julia Knight (Kennett Square, Pa./Unionville) reached on an error to leadoff the inning but was then erased on a fielder’s choice off the bat of junior Bridget Casey (Perkasie, Pa./Pennridge). Senior Mallory Tomaschik (Catawissa, Pa./Southern Columbia) came through with a double to right center that allowed Casey to come around to score, cutting the Holy Family lead to 3-2. In the sixth, Impink led off the inning with a single and then advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Peacock. Sophomore Taylor Winkelman (Springfield, Pa/Springfield) then tied the game when she doubled down the left field line to score Impink.

The Huskies’ rally was aided by the strong relief pitching of junior Alyssa Davies (Mountain Top, Pa./Crestwood) who came on in the bottom of the fifth inning and slammed the door shut on the Tiger offense.

Junior outfielder Kalynn Wheeland prepares to hit a pitch in Bloomsburg’s 8-4 win over Concord University on March 14. Wheeland finished the game with 2 hits, 2 runs and 3 RBI.

The game went to extra innings and the Huskies were able to hold off the Tigers in the bottom of the eighth when Mayhew gunned down a runner at the plate. In the top of the ninth, Bloomsburg had runners on first and third with nobody out but Orozco got a pair of groundouts and a popout to end the Huskies’ rally. In the bottom of the ninth, however, Holy Family loaded the bases with nobody out. After a popout, Taylor Favinger drove home the winning run with a single to left to end the game.

Davies was saddled with the loss despite a strong performance out of the bullpen. She went four and a-third innings and allowed only an unearned run on six hits. She walked one and struck out one. Parker went the first four innings and allowed three runs on seven hits, walked two, and struck out three.

Orozco improved to 7-4 on the season for Holy Family as she went all nine innings and allowed three runs (two earned) on nine hits. She walked three and did not strike out a batter. Knight, Mayhew, and Impink each had two of Bloomsburg’s nine hits.

The Huskies again struck first in game two as Parker launched a solo home run in the top of the first against Holy Family starter, Bailey Walters.
But, Favinger answered with a home run in the bottom of the first against Tomaschik to tie the contest at 1-1. Then, in the bottom of the third, Favinger was at it again as she laced a run-scoring triple to left to give the Tigers a 2-1 lead.

In the top of the fifth, the Huskies took a 4-2 lead thanks to three runs against Walters. Sophomore Marissa Shelhamer (Bloomsburg, Pa./Central Columbia) led off the inning with a walk and then advanced to second on a bunt single from sophomore Emily Getz (Hagerstown, Md./North Hagerstown). Winkelman doubled down the left field line to plate Shelhamer which tied the game at 2-2. Peacock gave the Huskies a 3-2 lead with another squeeze bunt and then Mayhew brought home the third run of the inning with a sacrifice fly.

But, the Tigers got all three runs back in the bottom of the fifth – all of which were unearned – as the Huskies made two costly errors to give Holy Family a 5-4 lead.

Bloomsburg had only five hits – two from Getz, two from Winkelman, and the solo home run from Parker. Tomaschik went five innings and allowed five runs (two earned) on six hits. She walked one and struck out one to fall to 2-6 on the season.

The Huskies, picked to win the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) Central Division, will open conference play on Friday, March 31, with a doubleheader at Clarion University. Start time is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.