Women’s Basketball falls to East Stroudsburg

Connor McKay, Sports Writer

The No. 6 Bloomsburg University women’s basketball team fell to the No. 2 East Stroudsburg University Warriors in a heartbreaking season ending loss, 53-42. This was the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) Tournament Quarterfinals and sees the end of the post-season for the Huskies. They finish out the 2019-20 season with an overall record of 14-13.
Bloomsburg struck first blood against their opponent as the first quarter began. A layup by senior forward Taylor Montana gave the Huskies the 2-0 lead at the 09:38 mark. There was a strong defensive effort from both teams keeping the score low until the Warriors tied the score at four with about seven and a half minutes left in the first quarter. A jumper followed by a successful trip to the line put the Huskies behind three as the Warriors began to gain an offensive footing.

h teams left the score low until freshman McKenna Hayward put the Huskies within two with only four minutes left in the quarter. The Warriors were quick to respond though, and used their bench and some rebounds to build their lead back up.
The last shot of the quarter was made by East Stroudsburg and left the Huskies trailing by eight as they went into the second quarter 8-19.
The second quarter started off slow, as neither teams were able to get back on the board until a jumper from the Warriors put the Huskies behind 8-21. The score would stay like that until the 05:45 mark, when a three-pointer from East Stroudsburg dug the hole for the Huskies even deeper.
Another lapse in scoring would go on until the Huskies found themselves trailing by 20 with only 03:54 left in the half. A score by the Huskies would finally happen after a layup from freshman Emma Gochnauer, who sent the Huskies into double-digits 10-32.
Both teams would then make a few shots, but the vast lead by the Warriors was a looming presence for the Huskies. The half ended with the Warriors up 34-15 over the Huskies.
In the beginning of the third quarter, both teams suffered from some missed shots and opportunities. The Huskies would try to dig themselves out of the hole they found themselves in, but they could not successfully hold the Warriors’ offense, while chipping away at their lead.
With only 04:41 left in the third, the Huskies were able to cut the lead to 16 after another layup from Montana and put the score at 23-39. Both teams would continue to fire shots off against each other and the quarter closed with the Warriors still on top 27-41.
The fourth and final quarter saw the Huskies give their final push to stay alive in the postseason. After a pair of successful free-throws made by Hayward, the score was set at 29-44 with only seven minutes left in the game.
The Huskies were able to make good use of the line and were able to get close after two successful shots from junior Payton Spadaccino. An offensive surge was mounted by the Huskies, and their offense started to crack the Warriors’ defensive. Then redshirt junior Meghan Corridoni nailed a three and set fire to the Bloomsburg bench, putting the game within reach at 38-46.
The Warriors were quick to adapt though, and found a way to eat up the clock and slow the Huskies’ momentum. With only a minute left in play, the Huskies found themselves trailing 38-51. The game’s last shot would be a successful three from redshirt junior Meghan Corridoni, but it was all for naught and the game ended 53-42.
Despite a heartbreaking loss, the Huskies should hold their heads up high. It was a tremendous season and the Huskies represented the University excellently. The team is fortunate to have an abundance of young talent, which will be useful for upcoming seasons.
The stat leaders for the night were Montana and junior Emma Saxton. Saxton lead her team in scoring with 11 points and two assists. Montana was able to be a defensive force for her team with seven rebounds and four points. During the contest, the Huskies made the mistake of having 10 turnovers, causing the Warriors to make 21 points off of those turnovers.
The Huskies did have a much more successful bench team than their opponent, scoring 13 points off the bench compared to East Stroudsburg’s seven. Both teams found themselves to be moderately successful rebounding. Overall, BU’s greatest weakness during the contest was turnovers and three-point shots from their opponent.

For more information on the Bloomsburg University basketball teams upcoming schedule, player statistics or roster, please visit buhuskies.com