BU comes together for a holiday card campaign

With the start of her toy drive “Matthew’s Wish” Eliza Parson, a student at Bloomsburg University started another campaign to help three year old Taylnn who is currently battling with leukemia.

“A few weeks ago, I ran a toy drive on campus for a non-profit organization called “Matthew’s Wish.” With the help of Bloomsburg University’s students, faculty, and staff, I collected nearly 400 toys. I made a post on Facebook expressing my appreciation for the immense support that was given to me throughout the toy drive,” said Parson. “One of my friends, who is a family friend of Talynn, saw my post and reached out to me. She told me what Talynn was going through and it broke my heart. I knew that I wanted to help in any way that I could. We asked Talynn’s mom if she would enjoy cards, and she said that her daughter would love that. I went to the store the next day and bought lots of construction paper, markers, and stickers. I also picked up some gifts for Talynn since it is almost Christmas time. I wanted her to have something to open in the hospital.”

With the amount of support the university has been showing, the campaign has been a success so far as students send out cards to Parson for Taylnn.

“I received around 100 cards so far from students at Bloomsburg,” said Parson. “The Bloomsburg University community was absolutely amazing throughout my toy drive. So many students, faculty, and staff lent a helping hand whenever needed. Because of this, I knew that the students would be willing to help put a smile on Talynn’s face by making cards.

Parson thought of the idea of card making because it would be cost-effective for college students.

“I chose card making because I know that money is tight for many college students. Making cards is a cheap and easy way to show your support and cheer someone up. I also knew that the majority of the students were gearing up for finals week and were very busy. It only takes a few minutes to make a card,” said Parson.

Because of the support she received from the Social Work Department, the Admissions Office, her classmates and her professor Dr. Felker, Parson appreciates the time that the university has put into this project.

“My fellow social work classmates have all made cards during our class time. My professor, Dr. Felker, has been a huge help as well. He has taken materials to his other classes so that those students would also have a chance to make cards. He also bought a toy for Talynn.,” said Parson. “The Social Work Department has supported me in every project that I have taken on, and I would not be able to do all of this without them. I work for the Admissions Office, and they immediately asked what they could do to help once they caught word of this project. Tom Kresch has offered to help the family with anything they may need during this difficult time, and that meant a lot to Talynn’s family and myself.

The project is something that makes the people in Bloomsburg come together for a good cause, not only as a university but as a community as well.
“The Admissions Office made cards and even got Talynn some really sweet gifts. They have been a huge part of this project as well,” said Parson. “I am blown away at the amount of support that I have received from the Bloomsburg University community in the past three years that I have attended this school. This university is not just a school, it’s a community and a family. I have never felt like just a number here. Everyone here has supported me tremendously throughout every endeavor of my college career. I am overwhelmed and thankful. I have no doubt that I chose the best university for me, and I am extremely happy to now call Bloomsburg “home.”

“I chose card making because I know that money is tight for many college students. Making cards is a cheap and easy way to show your support and cheer someone up….It only takes a few minutes to make a card,” said Parson.