Volleyball beats Slippery Rock in comeback win

Huskies get back on track with conference victory

Patrick Halye

Grace Giza (pictured above) attempts a kill against SRU.

Peyton Qauckenbush, Staff Writer

This past Saturday, the women’s volleyball played an exciting back and forth match against Slippery Rock University at home. Slippery Rock was off to a good start, winning the first two sets but than Bloomsburg came back with intensity and won the second two sets leaving it tied.
Sophomore and outside hitter Mary Kate Mooney helped tie up the huskies with 1 out of 11 of her total kills. Mooney’s kill forced the 5th set, which ultimately led to a husky victory, winning 3 out of 5 total sets. This is the team’s first Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) win of the season.
At this point in the season, the women have an overall record of 6-11. While being 6-11 is most likely not what they are striving for, the team still has enough matches left to at least reach a record of .500.
Last year, the program’s first year of existence, the team ended with an overall record of 6-22. Right now the women are already at 6 wins, so there is a good chance that they are going to improve last year’s record.
This year, they have already improved their away record; last year they finished at 1-10, while this year they already have two away wins solidified.
BU has already been doing significantly better than last season, so if they keep that up they are in for a way better record overall.
Because the scrimmage is open to everyone and free of charge, it is a good opportunity for students to come support their team and keep their morale up so they can play increasingly better for each game coming up.
Their next match is this Friday, Oct. 11 at 6:00 p.m. versus California University of Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, this game is away; however, this not only gives the team a chance to improve their overall record but as well as their away record which is 2-5.